Can pregnancy/child bearing possibly reformed a sociopath?

If a female sociopath ended up pregnant (whether it was her consent or rape), would she start developing empathy, guilt and emotions?

From what I have known, sociopaths never changed their ways and hardly ever reformed. However, doesn't that mostly apply to men than women. Since we can get pregnant than that might changed her conniving ways because it's a human life she's carrying.

What about the case of Mary Bell, did she really reformed? In the tender age of just 11, she killed two toddlers. She was killing as a child but changed her ways once she got pregnant at age 23 or so. That's what I gather in an article and her daughter is now a grown-up (yes she knows what her mother was like as a child).

I don't believe pregnancy or babies will change a sociopath. I guess there's always a small possibility but in the vast majority of cases, I doubt it.

As for, "sociopaths never changed their ways and hardly ever reformed. However, doesn't that mostly apply to men than women"

I think it applies to both genders. Then again, I'm not an expert on the subject.

No. Pregnancy would not change a sociopath. She will just be a sociopath with an infant
Poor child.... I don't know if that story about Mary Bell reforming after becoming pregnant is true but she expressed remorse to what she did as a child.

I thought that since it's a life she's carrying then certain emotions has to be present. What about child-bearing where there's a lot of pain?

That would be messed-up.. a woman not feeling anything for the child she just gave birth to.

I was once involved with a woman whom I would consider a sociopath. Her first child, she abandoned with acquaintances. Her second, she (thankfully) gave up for adoption. I guarantee you that she felt no motherly concern for either of these children. Her primary focus was herself...at all times. She is now a "spiritual" leader in the state of Texas, and undoubtedly still ripping off/ conniving her way through life.

Poor child.... I don't know if that story about Mary Bell reforming after becoming pregnant is true but she expressed remorse to what she did as a child.

I thought that since it's a life she's carrying then certain emotions has to be present. What about child-bearing where there's a lot of pain?

That would be messed-up.. a woman not feeling anything for the child she just gave birth to.

I don't think the "emotions" of child-birth would play a big part in reforming a true sociopath. However, in the case of Mary Bell, she was so young and came from such a messed up family...perhaps she wasn't a true sociopath? She was only eleven when she committed those murders. Just a thought...

I was once involved with a woman whom I would consider a sociopath. Her first child, she abandoned with acquaintances. Her second, she (thankfully) gave up for adoption. I guarantee you that she felt no motherly concern for either of these children. Her primary focus was herself...at all times. She is now a "spiritual" leader in the state of Texas, and undoubtedly still ripping off/ conniving her way through life.
Wow... Hopefully the children are now with someone who loves them and is more of mother to them than the biological one.

Wow... Hopefully the children are now with someone who loves them and is more of mother to them than the biological one.

Yes, they are. They're adults by now. But that's the difference between a true sociopath and Mary Bell. My ex was a "true" sociopath. Mary Bell? I'm wondering if she was just a victim of a messed up family. Although, my exe's name was also Mary...

According the article it stated that Mary's mother was a prostitute and used to called her names or embarrassed her every time bed-wetting happened. She claimed to have been abused by her mother. As for her father, it's believed to be convict.

Maybe she might have been acting out too which that must be the reason for her to state ''I like hurting others'' as a child.

Yes...but it seemed she came around as an adult? She came from an extremely damaging home life, but perhaps was able to rise above. It certainly seems so, in light of the fact that she's had kids of her own and has managed to nurture them. Sometimes the human spirit is so resilient.

If a female sociopath ended up pregnant (whether it was her consent or rape), would she start developing empathy, guilt and emotions?

Each person is different so I don't think there is an easy answer for this one- although I'd be inclined to say "no".

I also hope that this situation doesn't play out in real life all that often.

Each person is different so I don't think there is an easy answer for this one- although I'd be inclined to say "no".

I also hope that this situation doesn't play out in real life all that often.

I agree with this. It is a case by case basis.

Like many mental illnesses, this is up to a lot of 'nature vs. nurture' debate. Perhaps the pregnancy could change the hormonal function of the brain or the child will change the mindset of the person. However, I think it's safe to say that sociopaths will always have those tendencies and that only those with milder versions of the illness will be able to function normally. I don't think it will be a "day and night" sort of change.

I do not believe a true sociopath is recoverable, no. There is one in my father's family and he has been committing crimes since he was 11 and is still committing them now and he is 57.

True sociopaths comprise anywhere from 1 to 4 % of the population. This is not talking about just tendancies, we are talking about people with a full blown disorder, people like Charles Manson ect. True sociopaths have no regard for life whatsoever. Most of them too are male. The one in my father's family is male and he tried to kill another child when he was 11.

• 3 weeks later...

From what I have known, sociopaths never changed their ways and hardly ever reformed. However, doesn't that mostly apply to men than women. Since we can get pregnant than that might changed her conniving ways because it's a human life she's carrying.

What about the case of Mary Bell, did she really reformed? In the tender age of just 11, she killed two toddlers. She was killing as a child but changed her ways once she got pregnant at age 23 or so. That's what I gather in an article and her daughter is now a grown-up (yes she knows what her mother was like as a child).

From what I gather, sociopaths see their children as an offspring as themselves. Basically they raise their child for selfish reasons, just like everything else they do. They don't start becoming a sociopath nor do they end being one, they just are.

I suggest reading some of these articles. It is quite a glimpse into the mind of sociopaths:

link removed

link removed

link removed

link removed

My friend's ex-husband's mother is a sociopath, her ex-husband is a sociopath, and her ex-brother-in-law is a sociopath... so yeah it's possible... they just now have a happy little family full of them. that reminds of one of those thriller movies...

Poor kids.. I can imagine what are the thought!!

From what I gather, sociopaths see their children as an offspring as themselves. Basically they raise their child for selfish reasons, just like everything else they do. They don't start becoming a sociopath nor do they end being one, they just are.

I suggest reading some of these articles. It is quite a glimpse into the mind of sociopaths:

link removed

link removed

link removed

link removed

I was astonished upon reading those articles. It's interesting how someone can describe themselves as a sociopath and were questioning if there is a cure how it. Typically a true sociopath doesn't even realize he/she and has no problem in deceiving others for their own pleasure.

Archived