Helpful quotations

I thought it would be useful to have users post quotations that are inspiring and helpful to the healing process.

A close friend of mine forwarded me this quote by Nisargadatta Maharaj, which is great to keep in mind when you feel restless, especially when going through emotional transitions:

"There are always moments when one feels empty and estranged. Such moments are most desirable for it means the soul has cast its moorings and is sailing for distant places. This is detachment - when the old is over and the new has not yet come. If you are afraid, the state may be distressing; but there is really nothing to be afraid of. Remember the instruction: whatever you come accross - go beyond."

The fact is, that to do anything in the world worth doing, we must not stand back shivering and thinking of the cold and danger, but jump in and scramble through as well as we can.

Robert Cushing

I think it is time I let you go, and that is so hard to do because some part of me will be in love with you for the rest of my life, but the daydreaming, the running in place .. it's not healthy. So this is me, cutting the cord. This is me ... saying goodbye.

Dawsons Creek

It's not directly related to break-ups, but I love this from a Sufi poem by Rumi:

"what strikes the oyster shell does not damage the pearl"

(the pearl would typically be a symbol for the soul, and the oyster for the body). But I like to think of it as all these external blows that life hands me cannot take away from me my inner conviction, and grace, and I will continue to be the person I want to be through them. It just helps me believe that I can withstand what sometimes feels like heavy blows indeed!

Archived