What makes you think he might be?

Try googling it, I went on Wikipedia when I found out my SO has bipolar disorder and did a lot of reading. For him, it's mainly characterised by feeling extremely low when he's in a bad mood or feeling sad, more than would be normal. Apparently he can also have 'up' periods when he's more hyperactive but they don't occur as often for him.

I think it probably affects people differently so your boyfriend might not show the same as mine does.

What are the characteristics of bipolar disorder? How can I know if my bf IS bipolar??

By having him talk to a shrink. you are not a doctor so i would be careful and not try to diagnose him yourself.

that being said, you can definitely tell if he has bi-polar tendencies . . .

Mainly look for periods of mania and periods of extreme depression they should stick out pretty strong if he if.

By going to a DR. People should avoid making assumptions that people have disorders when they do not have the right medical training or ANY at all. Start with the GP and they will refer you to the right person. Your bf has to do this if HE feels he has a problem.

It does not really matter what one reads on the Internet. People should not be diagnosing other people based on what they read. A diagnosis of ANY medical issue takes a MEDICAL DR or PHYSCHIATRIST. There are also different kinds of bipolar etc.

OP correct me if I am wrong this is the same man that you want to leave because he abuses you? Do not waste your time finding out what his "issues" are. Save yourself and run for the hills.

It does not really matter what one reads on the Internet. People should not be diagnosing other people based on what they read. A diagnosis of ANY medical issue takes a MEDICAL DR or PHYSCHIATRIST. There are also different kinds of bipolar etc.

I know, but she wants to read up on the symptoms of Bi-polar so I offered her a site with some information.

It does not really matter what one reads on the Internet. People should not be diagnosing other people based on what they read.

Of course not. But sometimes having a better idea of the symptoms and signs and how it affects people can help you say to someone 'I think we should make a doctor's appointment for you, because I was reading about so-and-so and it sounds really similar to how you've been feeling recently...'

There's nothing wrong with a little research - what should be avoided is trying to conclusively diagnose someone and go on to try and work out treatment for them without having any professional backing.

Yes, I realise, but people diagnose themselves and others everyday with stuff they read on the Internet. This is exceedingly dangerous and damaging.

Also this man has been sbusive to her. For her to come to him and suggest he has some "mental" defect may set her up for more abuse.

Yes, I realise, but people diagnose themselves and others everyday with stuff they read on the Internet. This is exceedingly dangerous and damaging.

Also this man has been sbusive to her. For her to come to him and suggest he has some "mental" defect may set her up for more abuse.

Yes, but also psychiatrists can disagree with certain diagnoses of a person. Nobody's saying this women should diagnose her BF with Bi-polar, but if she suspects he may have it, why can't she read up on it? It may also get him to realise he could have a problem of some sort and get help, even if the self-diagnoses of Bi-Polar is incorrect.

This women wants to help this man. You might disagree with her staying in such an abusive relationship, but she won't leave unless she wants to leave. If she wants to help the guy why not give her some other positive advice rather then " you shouldn't diagnose" etc etc..

I know she does not want to leave. However, I have witnessed abusive relationships including my mother with my father who is an abusive bi polar. They can not be helped unless they WANT to. NO ONE should stay in abusive relationship with the thinking they can "save" someone. That is BS. My mom spent 30 year on and off trying to "save" my dad. It almost killed her, literally. Plus my mother's best friend was shot with a shot gun in the chest twice and killed in an abusive relationship. I would never encourage someone in an abusive relationship to try and stay and 'fix or save" someone.

My ex was bipolar.

Bipolars can be very aggressive and even dangerous when you have to deal with them. My ex best friend was also bipolar... I felt like I had to walk on eggshells around her or else she'll explode and yell at me. It is not a very easy life to live when you have someone you care about having this disorder.

My ex had a past history of being very aggressive like breaking property, threatning to hurt other people, etc. When we met, his friends said that I and something else "calmed" him down. And he has. But after we broke up, he became abusive and aggressive once again. He not only hurt me, but hurt many others as well. And he had almost no remorse.

Not all Bipolars are monsters. If they take the right medication and get themselves into therapy and support groups, they can become a better person for themselves and those around.

OP, you need to be extremely careful around this guy. If you say he abused you, that's already a sign that you need to leave ASAP. Leave before it's too late.

Archived