Why do we choose life over death?

I'm just curious of what other people think is a good reason to live...

Me personally, have found myself sitting here a lot and pondering the thought... but can just never come up with any reasonable answers (besides Friends and Family grieving)... And sure we only get one chance to live, but we also only get one chance at dying as well... Do you wanna die wearing diapers and having a nurse toss you around like a piece of trash? I sure as hell don't....

I'm just curious of what other people think is a good reason to live...

Me personally, have found myself sitting here a lot and pondering the thought... but can just never come up with any reasonable answers (besides Friends and Family grieving)... And sure we only get one chance to live, but we also only get one chance at dying as well... Do you wanna die wearing diapers and having a nurse toss you around like a piece of trash? I sure as hell don't....

I heard once that only about 15% of people live to be a vegetable, no, I think it is 5%.

My reason for living is the hope that things will eventually get better and I will some day truly enjoy life. I want to experience the degree of joy that other people claim to have experienced. This may require the right conditions or a change in outlook that occurs over time.

Not too long ago I felt that I was very close to the end (I made a thread similar to this one). Now a sudden series of events have upped my hope. I do have some joy in my life at this time and if it continues I may be on my way to a somewhat positive outlook. This is what keeps me going.

I don't particularly want to die a geriatric. That's very unappealing to me. But I potentially have many years left before I'm there. I'll worry about that when the time comes.

My reason for living is the hope that things will eventually get better and I will some day truly enjoy life. I want to experience the degree of joy that other people claim to have experienced. This may require the right conditions or a change in outlook that occurs over time.

Not too long ago I felt that I was very close to the end (I made a thread similar to this one). Now a sudden series of events have upped my hope. I do have some joy in my life at this time and if it continues I may be on my way to a somewhat positive outlook. This is what keeps me going.

I already live and truly enjoy my life. I'm not a millionaire, I'm not famous, if anything I'm fairly ordinary in an I feel great about myself kind of way. almost 20 years ago, I felt in the same position, my life wasn't going anywhere, I didn't think I was good at anything. But the truth is for me, I made the decision to feel like that. When I finally decided I had had enough of feeling down on myself - and it took absolute years - I made the decision that life was what I made of it. It's not always good or fun, in fact, some of the times have been downright painful, but that is life and I will enjoy it no matter what.

I tell you that when I changed my attitude towards the world and towards my own life, things changed. The things I want to happen start happening because I make them happen. When I realised that I was in control of what happened in my life, I started to get the things that I wanted and I am right on the trail of something I want very much right now. And I will have it.

We all die and we all die when we are ready, it's how much fun we had in life before that happens. And don't give me the line "my life isn't fun", as there is only one person that is making it that way... Make it fun, and unless you are harry potter, waving a magic wand aint gonna do it over night. Strive for it and it will happen.

have any of you just kind of wondered "What If?"

What if?:

I jump out of this car while we're doing 100+ kms

I jump under this train when it gets to close to stop

I Jump off of this ladder/building or "accidentally" fall

I'm also very Impulsive, and just thinking of this stuff usually seems like a good idea to me (at the time). However, I get a really strange feeling when the moment has passed, as if I were suppose to act on the feeling. Then I feel like I let myself down, and I don't know... Its hard to explain.

What if?:

I'm also very Impulsive, and just thinking of this stuff usually seems like a good idea to me (at the time). However, I get a really strange feeling when the moment has passed, as if I were suppose to act on the feeling. Then I feel like I let myself down, and I don't know... Its hard to explain.

No, I have never thought about doing any of those things. I would rather hang on no matter how tough the going gets.

What if?:

I Jump off of this ladder/building or "accidentally" fall.

No, can't say I have. It sounds way too painful to me, so why would I want to put myself through any of that, or even think it? I'm way too chicken, but besides, I have no reason to think such thoughts.

I agree that a high level of internal locus of control plays a key role in happy people who strive to live. However, some people are dealt crappy cards. Things like abuse, illness and grief are beyond one's control and the more exposure one has to them, the harder it becomes to choose happiness.

I'd say that most people who feel suicidal have been thrown into a life full of unfortunate circumstances. This coupled with failed attempts at trying to improve one's life makes it difficult to persevere. That is why I said I'm hoping for a change in circumstances and outlook. Given the dramatic improvement in both of these areas for me in recent months, I think that it may just be possible to be happy eventually. And I don't mean an eye to eye beaming smile all of the time, but contentment and satisfaction with myself and the way life as progressed. It would also be nice to be able to not let the negatives affect me so greatly.

Obviously this will take time, energy and a break from the bad stuff for a while.

What if?:

I've had similar feelings while driving along at night. I used to get this strong urge to speed up, swerve and hit a tree. Sometimes I wonder whether it takes more courage to live or to die. Since I don't believe in any form of afterlife, dying means you are ending everything. There will be no more you. All that is left is the grief you burden your loved ones with. It takes a lot of courage to rid yourself of an entire future. Maybe this is why you feel like you let yourself down when you don't follow through? Almost a cowardly feeling?

Others would argue that you're taking the easy way out and that taking life's journey and letting yourself die from natural causes is more courageous.

I'm still torn between the two.

I've had similar feelings while driving along at night. I used to get this strong urge to speed up, swerve and hit a tree. Sometimes I wonder whether it takes more courage to live or to die. Since I don't believe in any form of afterlife, dying means you are ending everything. There will be no more you. All that is left is the grief you burden your loved ones with. It takes a lot of courage to rid yourself of an entire future. Maybe this is why you feel like you let yourself down when you don't follow through? Almost a cowardly feeling?

Others would argue that you're taking the easy way out and that taking life's journey and letting yourself die from natural causes is more courageous.

I'm still torn between the two.

Well I believe suicide is very brave. Not only because you may survive and live disabled or deformed, but also because having read and heard about NDE survivors, hell does exist. Those who attempt suicide claim to have experienced a hell. With very much the typical theme of demonic spirits tearing their souls to pieces to those who have experienced a fiery hell.

Well I believe suicide is very brave. Not only because you may survive and live disabled or deformed, but also because having read and heard about NDE survivors, hell does exist. Those who attempt suicide claim to have experienced a hell. With very much the typical theme of demonic spirits tearing their souls to pieces to those who have experienced a fiery hell.

I feel bad for bringing theology into the thread. Sorry mods.

I've also heard the common theme of suicide survivors "seeing the light" or feeling some godly presence and having a sudden will to live afterward. I'd talk about the scientific explanations behind this, but I doubt it will be welcome.

This alone wouldn't be a reason for me to not do it, but if it helps other people, then that's great.

Scientific explanations are flawed. You cannot experience death unless you are dead.

This is why near death experiences should be taken with a grain of salt, in my opinion. You're not actually dead. A lot of things can happen to the brain when it's under severe stress.

This is why near death experiences should be taken with a grain of salt, in my opinion. You're not actually dead. A lot of things can happen to the brain when it's under severe stress.

According to witnesses at the scene the heart did stop. You really think we are only masses of flesh?

According to witnesses at the scene the heart did stop. You really think we are only masses of flesh?

Heart stopping doesn't automatically mean death. Hearts are stopped during transplant surgeries and the organ recipients are not dead. The medical definition is "the cessation of of all vital functions of the body including the heartbeat, brain activity (including the brain stem), and breathing." Those who have near death experiences still have brain activity.

Do I think we are only masses of flesh? No, because that would be ignoring the idea of consciousness.

Archived