More than friends... HELP!

cbzfmoc

So my best (male) friend and I are now longer "just" friends. A couple months ago, he asked me out and I said no because I didn't want to lose him as a friend (we both like each other). However, we continued to cuddle/hold hands. Then a couple weeks ago, he kissed me, and we have been making out ever since...

I love hanging out with him but at the same time I don't really know what our friendship is turning into. Most people we know think we are dating. I don't really know if I want a relationship. He can't openly be in a relationship right now because we are in college and his parents don't want him to date because schoolwork should be his top priority (however, note that we already spend A LOT of time together and what we have is essentially a relationship). Also he is the kind of person who takes relationships very seriously. He says he wants to give me everything but he can't because of what he calls his "time-management issues."

I am fine with the fact that we "do stuff" even though we are not in a relationship and we are very emotionally close. I think he would be faithful to me anyway, but truthfully I only trust him when he is sober. I am kind of scared that he might have a drunken hook-up or something... because that would hurt me, and since we are not technically in a relationship there would technically be nothing wrong with it.

Could friends with benefits possibly work or is someone bound to get hurt?

I think YOU would be the one to get hurt. You already know that he might hook up with other girls, and considering you guys aren't together, I'd say that's very likely.

I don't get the whole, "I don't want to lose him as a friend" thing. Can you explain that more?

Archived