Uni Interviews. WHY CAN'T I TALK!!!

MNM

I have an interview for Uni coming up(2 days, and a couple of others in a few weeks) and I just cant talk. I do Art so all I have to do is go through my portfolio and talk about my work, it should be easy, everyone else can do it. I know everything about my work, it just wont come out, either my throut complete close and I say nothing or I just stutter out a word vaugly related to to the subject. And for these interview I need to talk for about 20-30 minutes which at this rate, isnt going to happen.

Any tips/help?

Take a glass/bottle of water with you, then when your mouth gets dry have some water, the interviewers will be used to having nervous applicants. So long as you are pasionate about your work and course, and try then they will be happy. If it is really hard, get a good friend or preferabley a parent to go with you, that way you have got support.

Practice going through everything you want to say out loud. Better yet, see if any of your friends' parents or friends of friends would be willing to sit with you while you go through it. The idea here being that you explain your stuff to someone you don't know all that well but in a non-pressure environment since the practice interview doesn't count. Interviews and public speaking are 90% about getting used to doing it so the best possible prep is getting experience.

It was the interveiw today and I think it went ok. I did stumble over my word a couple of times but I dont think they took much notice of it. They actually seem to be rushing through my work though, I dont know if that was because they were in a hurry or I was just talking too much(guessing the former). It did make me feel more relaxed about future interview though. The Uni I really want to go to is in late April so I do get more time to practice my talking

Archived