Apple cider vinegar

Does anyone here have an experience with it? I ran into someone (who I generally trust to be an expert at healthy things) and they swear by it. The interweb seems to think it's all things to all people and will cure everything from foot odour to obesity right the way through to back acne!!!

Today was day one, 2 tablespoons in a big glass of warm water and I pounded it back. Some 4 hours later I can still sort of taste it and now I kinda feel like throwing up everything since Friday.

Maybe that's how the weight loss stuff works...I dunno

I'm prepared to keep trying if anyone here can give me some encouragement.

I think I need a need a mint though...

I just (re)learned about apple cider vinegar a couple of weeks ago and have been reading up on it. I started to take it a couple of times, but the taste is very hard for me. What I have found is a couple of things:

1. It must be raw, natural organic apple cider vinegar, not the cooking stuff you can buy at Walmart. I found the brand Braggs in the organic section at another grocery store, but you can find it at most health food stores.

2. 2 teaspoons per 8-12 oz of water. I found that if I add a fair amount of organic honey, as well as squeeze 1/2 a lemon into the glass, the taste is much better to handle, and it does not have the same aftertaste.

3. Take the above "snake oil" at least 3 times a day, usually an hour before each major meal.

Everything I have read is that it works.

Apple Cider Vinegar ( the liquid form ) helps with weight loss by:

1- suppressing your appetite if you take it 15 minutes before eating.

2- stimulating your metabolism, thus your body burns more calories.

It can also help with morning breath if you drink it before going to bed ( the acetic acid kills bacteria ), just make sure you rinse your teeth as the acid is not good if left on your teeth.

I have tried ACV pills a few times, but never had any success with them. The liquid form is the only one that works for me. Yes it tastes a little nasty, but it does work.

Thanks you guys. The stuff I bought was from a health food store and said it was organic and "with mother" etc. It might have even been Braggs since I remember that was one of the ones on the shelf that I was deciding. ( I ended up buying the product that was manufactured closer to me in order to reduce carbon footprint blah blah blah)

I think I might have to do the honey thing since the taste is pretty nasty. I used to drink the lemon water business already as a habit but my friend says this is better, maybe I will incorporate the two.

Not sure about appetite supression. I'm not really doing this for weight loss (though I could stand to lose 5 pounds or so) but more for "health 'n happiness". I can see how the appetite supression works since I dont really feel like eating anything at the moment.

I feel nauseia actually...but maybe that is from not eating breakfast and not becasue of the apple cider....hmmmmm.

but thanks for the pointers!!

LOL- Apple Cider Vinegar support group.

Is it expensive to buy???

I already take so many things (fish oil, green tea extract, women's daily vitamin, vitamin b-12, and calcium & vitamin D tablet

Yeah, but what's one more tablet? LOL I'm the devil on your shoulder.

I saw some bottles of the Apple Cider tablets at Vitamin World where I get my vitamins and I don't recall them being that expensive.

I'm in......I'm on a health kick anyway....

Been a while since I've had it but I love the stuff. I don't pound it back but I've mixed it with olive oil and used it as a salad dressing. You can also dab it on your skin to treat bug bites.

So it tastes ok that way? I have salad every day so I'm thinking that could be an option.

Your friendly neighbourhood skeptic here ...

So what makes it healthy? The appetite suppressant effect could very well just be the "placebo effect" in play - but what are the grounds for declaring it "healthy"?

I will research what nutrients it offers and post my findings

(I'm a skeptic, but a man of science, and I wont deny facts)

I will research what nutrients it offers and post my findings

I think you are approaching this the wrong way, in that I don't think you will find any specific nutritional value to Apple Cider Vinegar.

ACV works via it's effect on the GI tract, and a person's blood sugar levels. I suspect that most of it's effect comes from the 5 percent acetic acid contained in ACV.

Well, it looks like the ACV thing already had a cycle in the 1970s as a diet fad, that died out (like pretty much all fad diet/supplements).

The nutritional value in ACV is basically trace amounts (near negligible quantities) of various vitamins and minerals. The acetic acid doesn't appear to offer anything for the body, digestion or absorption-wise. There is no fibre, and beneficial amino acids that were or could have been present cannot survive the fermenting process into vinegar.

Claims to remedy arthritis are not supported or backed by anything more than anecdotal stories, which the National Arthritis Foundation believes is simply coincidental intersection with the natural remission cycles of arthritis. They say there is no scientific evidence to support that ACV helps with arthritis, but there is also no evidence that it makes it worse - so basically go for it if you want.

Overall, ACV is not considered harmful except in unpasteurized form, which risks bacteria forming, particularly e-coli, and can lead to illness and even death. Most unpasteurized products of that type are illegal for sale, at least in Canada, so I'm not sure how much of a concern this is unless you're buying from some small-scale or online "health products" retailer.

As I said in a previous post, the most likely positive response to taking ACV is from the placebo effect - which is fine, because really, it makes you feel good so why not. You are welcome to read this and say, "Placebo effect or whatever.. I KNOW it is doing me good, so I'm going to keep doing it", and I wouldn't say anything to stop you...

I may, however, offer to sell you some of Lecturer's Resplendent Health Tonic .

I often use cider vinegar as a salad dressing and find it a nice light alternative to balsamic. I also like to alternate those between white wine and red wine vinegars.

However, drinking vinegar by the glass on a repeated basis is not healthy as it burns the stomach lining after repeated use due to it's acidic content.

I often use cider vinegar as a salad dressing and find it a nice light alternative to balsamic. I also like to alternate those between white wine and red wine vinegars.

However, drinking vinegar by the glass on a repeated basis is not healthy as it burns the stomach lining after repeated use due to it's acidic content.

My orthdontist told me a story about one of his teenage patients that drank vinegar everyday.....He couldn't stop drinking it.....The acid in the vinegar make his braces fall off his teeth....

Now that's a lot of vinegar......Yuck

ACV is really good for your hair, as well, especially curly hair. The hair shaft on curly hair sticks up at a kind of 45 degree angle, which means that it's often coarser to the touch. ACV closes the hair cuticle, so that products can seep in to the entire hair shaft better and, perhaps more importantly, your hair will feel a lot softer.

I tried the apple cider vinegar. I can't do it...it tastes sooo bad!!

Let me know if the pills work? I might try those. Does anyone know of other pills/vitamins that are good for weight loss? (I'm not looking for a weight loss pill, but just something to get my metabolism going or reduce hunger.. anything like that?)

Archived