Idea appropriate for cover letter/interview?

I am applying for a job at the career center in the university. It is a temporary position for graduate students only. (Although I suspect they may need someone to fill the same position the next year.) It is in human resources and an organizer/coordinator type of position which needs communication/leadership skills.

Are these bad ideas;

I want to really stand out. Should I mention that we spoke on the phone in my cover letter or is this a bad idea.

I also want to be a little more bold and tell her that after one year of being on the job, I wouldn't mind training the next person that will fill my position when I leave/before I leave. Should I talk about this in my cover letter (which may already be too full describing why I want the job and why I am the best candidate) or should I bring it up in my interview?

I would briefly use the fact that you spoke on the phone. Like "when we spoke on the phone...." and leave it at that.

As to the desire to train, leave that for the interview.

Something about how friendly she sounded over the phone maybe? I had a question about the position because I wasn't sure my background fit what they were looking for, but she assured me I would get an interview and asked for my name.

The only problem is I told her I would apply that day and I haven't yet (yikes!) I hope she doesn't remember that.

Something about how friendly she sounded over the phone maybe? I had a question about the position because I wasn't sure my background fit what they were looking for, but she assured me I would get an interview and asked for my name.

The only problem is I told her I would apply that day and I haven't yet (yikes!) I hope she doesn't remember that.

No, I wouldnt comment on how nice someone sounded. You need to keep your cover letter as professional sounding as possible. So, no comments on "niceness".

Can you redo something that is already on there...like.."When we spoke on the phone, you informed me of the qualifiacations required for this position. I am a perfect fit to your organization...blah blah...."

Archived