Cold Calling

Is it okay to cold call a business to ask them if they are hiring? There is a firm in town I'd love to work for, I just have no idea if they are currently hiring. I checked the website and I called and talked to the receptionist. There was nothing on the website and the receptionist said she had no idea

Well, it's an iffy one, really. A lot of employers, when advertising job openings, will put "No phone calls, please" in the ad to keep from having a ton of people calling about the job. Others, like my current (soon-to-be former) work place, list the number for HR and encourage people to call.

If you REALLY want an answer, one way or another, look on the website and see if you can find contact info. for the HR department. If not, call again and ask the receptionist to, either transfer you to HR or if she can give you contact info. for HR.

Keep in mind though, that MANY employers prefer to only be contacted regarding advertised positions.

You might want to try typing the company name into a job site like link removed and see if you come up with anything, too.

Thanks yabbadabba- I had read an article that said that cold calling is the way to go nowadays because "the old job model is broken." My concerns were very similar to the ones that you noted. the article said that most openings are posted internally first and that if you call you will stand out in the HR director's mind. I think I will check my resources to see if I know anyone who works there who may know.

I can tell you from personal experience that cold-calling comes off as lazy to me. I am the receptionist/admin at a factory and with the economy the way it is, people are out of work all over the place. It is really obnoxious to me when people call all the time and ask if we're hiring. You should take the time to come in and ask politely and fill out an application.

Yes, just calling to ask "Are you hiring?" can come accross as kind of lazy.

The better approach is to walk in the office and give a copy of your resume/cover letter and ask if they have other applications that could be filled out. If they're hiring, then great. If not, then at least they'll have your application on file.

Well I only ask because I just read a book that said cold calling was the new way to find a job. I thought the entire time I was reading it the same thing the above people mentioned... but the book pretty much said time and time again that was the thing to do. Now that you all mention it-- i don't think it mentioned once to stop by in person and apply-- it said to call in and talk to a HR director or a manager in desired department. Although I am technically a "manager" the only people I ever "hire" are non-paid, college credit interns, so I never thought much about the process from the other side.

Actually--- this is the reasons why the book recommends it... it is..."most jobs aren't avertised," " hiring decissions are often made sudden," "it elminates the middleman," "managers will take your call out of sheer curiosity" "can generate referals," "you can display your stengths," is effective in "changing careers", "memorable," "improves your odds,"

I did call the firm today and talked to the woman in charge (no offense guys, I hadnt read your comments yet. turned out we had a lot in common. Her sister went to same college, at the same time together and we both worked at the newspaper together. They are not currently hiring.... but she said that she would hold on to my resume. I don't know if the sister thing made me more memorable or not. her sister and I certainly got along and spent many a night working into the early morning working on the paper. We even keep in touch still on facebook....

Maybe some hiring managers are like this, but mine is not. She has to deal with 150+ employees and does not have time to talk on the phone with people who don't seem serious enough to take the time out of their day to come down to the office to fill out an application.

People who do come in have a far better chance of talking to her face to face.

I think contacting employers even when there is no job advertised or free can be good. I am not so sure that it is a good idea to cold call for this though. The reason I say this is that when you cold call it is unlikely that they will have a free job at that moment. If they do get a job come up shortly after you called them, unless they took full details off you when you called and stored these which seems unlikely, then you will be easily forgotten. If you send a speculative CV and covering letter, if there are no jobs available at the time, but a quick glance at your CV says you could be of use, they are likely to put your CV on file. When a job comes up they are very likely to pull the stored CV's out and see who could fit the job.

I know lots of people who sent off unsolicited brief letters and CV's to lots of companies and were told there were no vacancies, but then a little later on the company contacts them saying we have your CV and have just read it, a job has just come up and we'd like you to come for interview. I cannot say I have ever heard of an employer getting back in touch with someone when a job arises after they cold called them (but then again I don't really know many people who have cold called an employer).

Wow- some leads.

Lead # 1 (and this was not a cold call). I applied to a TV sales position. The head guy called today and asked me like 20 questions about my experience.... at the end of conversation he said something along the lines of.... I had a quick question and hadn'tplanned on interviewing you. WHy don,t we set up a proper interview and continue tomorrow !!... so that seems promising.

The woman I cold called yesterday called me back and told me about another sales firm that is hiring. She gave me cntact info and said to say she gave it to me. She also said her sister says Hi--- I think she is only helping out because I know her sis... but that is what networking is all about, right?

I am the receptionist and office manager at my bf's law firm. If you call out of the blue and ask if we are hiring, you are disrupting my work day and pi**ing me off. You can bet I will NOT be putting you through to him! If you come in and fill out an application, I can hand it to you and continue on with my deep, deep, pile of work on my desk and I will be very nice to you. DON'T cold call!

I had an interview with TV sales-- went well, but I won't know until March 31st. I got an interview also with the recommended firm (from the woman I direct called). It is tomorrow..... so I am on pins and needles with excitement!

Had 2 great (i hope) interviews. Both said they weill decided on or around the 31st. Hope I can stay at my current job for that long without going nuts.... boss had another "explosion" at work. threw a starbucks cup(mostly empty) at a co worker yesterday. Also, called another co worker a very bad name. I came back from lunch and all my picture frames were facing down. When I asked a co worker why she said it was because my boss kicked my desk for no apparent reason.

Archived