Failed at life?

This is kind of a silly thing but....

I went out into the world on my own young, at age 17. I got an apartment, a part time job and I went to school. I got a 2 year Associates of Applied Science Degree in Computer Network Systems. I got a job and worked there for 2.5 years and just decided in the end it was not working out for me.

So I quit my job. I've since been looking for a new job. I'm close on a few leads and may have one soon. The issue I have is... Did I fail at life? I mean, I'm going to be getting a job that is a "regular" job that you can get with just a high school education and will pay probably much less than I could earn before. I just wasn't happy and I think I might be with a simpler life.

The big worry I have is that I will not be able to get a girlfriend now as they only want people more established or with a brighter future. Just the other day I saw an attractive lady chatting with a friend about how her BF was the computer guy for a local hospital and it made me think that could have been me if I stayed on track. I won't be able to really provide for a family or even another person most likely on the path I am going on, but things just weren't right before.

Anyone have a similar life experience and feel happier now that you are more simplified in career choice??

Okay, two ideas for you. Your young, you shouldn't worry about settling down for at least another 5-10 years. Have fun and if that means taking a job on the slow track, but being happy, so be it. Families are super expensive to keep up these days, so it will take a lot of money to marry and raise a family. So....either stay single and enjoy a simpler life; marry a lady who makes the prerequisite money and keep the job you love, or wait until something comes along that you love that will pay very well. From what I've seen in life, the last one will more than likely be what will happen. You are young, enjoy being free and responsible for no one but you!

Hey there fellow Iowan!

I'm at the opposite side of the spectrum. I'm a "computer guy" like the man in your story. Basically an Engineering student at ISU. My gf is planning on being a doctor is an A+ student unlike me. She's attractive, in the sense that I like her. She's no supermodel and she's not from a poor neighborhood while I'm from a much more affluent one.

As far as the ladies go Iowa isn't the best of places to pick up ladies or enjoy life. If you still live in Shenandoah I would suggest moving out and to a big city like Des Moines or Omaha. I personally am not a fan of mega cities like chicago, but smaller ones like Des Moines isn't bad. Bigger cities can provide more excitement, better job opportunities, and better chances to meet ladies interested in guys like you.

As for the job aspect: For most people it's about sacrifice. Sure some people enjoy what they do, but for the most part many don't. I love writing novels, photography, and playing guitar. I even tried to get into Architecture during college but I had to switch my majors and work with computers. I'd rather be painting a picture then programming one. If you want to trade money for a simpler happier life then go for it. Unless of course, money can provide that happiness for you.

If you think a few classes in astrophysics is going to change your life around, and turn you into a success, then you might want to rethink your idea of success. I can think of a lot of billionaires I wouldn't want to be.

I can think of a lot of billionaires I wouldn't want to be.

Yeah, for sure. Many rich people have been married and divorced several times. Some commit suicide.

If you acquire a lady friend because of your financial status, then you really haven't acquired much of anything. A Real Doll would be a better investment.

Sweet, nice to see another Iowan on here!

I think you are right about moving to a bigger city but the thing is, I've lived in Omaha before and didn't really like it just because you have to plan out every trip you make due to horrible traffic (at least to me) and constant construction on roads. I like small towns a little better but I guess you have to sacrifice as you say. That is where there are a lot more people and more opportunities. Some good stuff here to think about.

"Failed at Life?"

You're 23. Isn't this a little like giving up in the middle of the first quarter of a football game because you're down by a field goal? You're young, seemingly healthy, and have an associates degree. OK. That being said, you did quit a job in the middle of a major recession without already having another job. That was stupid. Don't do that again. It's always easier to find a job when you have a job. It's also easier to eat, pay your cable bill, date, etc. The good news is that you're 23 and have LOTS of time to regroup and get back on track . . . and you will.

"Failed at Life?"

You're 23. Isn't this a little like giving up in the middle of the first quarter of a football game because you're down by a field goal? You're young, seemingly healthy, and have an associates degree. OK. That being said, you did quit a job in the middle of a major recession without already having another job. That was stupid. Don't do that again. It's always easier to find a job when you have a job. It's also easier to eat, pay your cable bill, date, etc. The good news is that you're 23 and have LOTS of time to regroup and get back on track . . . and you will.

Great post BTC, and a great analogy up my alley. I love football lol. I'm still throwing bombs if I'm down 24 in the 4th with 2 min left.

Yes what I did was very stupid, but I do feel that I at least put a little thought into it because when I quit, I had enough money in the bank to last a year. So I'm actually still doing ok financially but I do want a job asap because I'm very bored and depressed.

Thank you for the post.

You can't fail at life, you've barely begun to live it. the goal in life is to be happy, not rich, famous or any of those statuses. Find what it is you love to do, and do it, do what you want with your life, the world is a giant playground, have fun.

Don't take life too seriously, you never get out alive - Elbert Hubbard

Great post BTC, and a great analogy up my alley. I love football lol. I'm still throwing bombs if I'm down 24 in the 4th with 2 min left.

Yes what I did was very stupid, but I do feel that I at least put a little thought into it because when I quit, I had enough money in the bank to last a year. So I'm actually still doing ok financially but I do want a job asap because I'm very bored and depressed.

Thank you for the post.

Sometimes, we have to do stupid things in order to learn anything. Yeah, we're in a recession. Sure, it probably wasn't the best idea in the world to quit your job willy-nilly, but, pfft, you won't be down for long.

I'm 24, have a college degree and, like you, am currently working a job that a high schooler could do, in terms of complexity and education requirements. I actually hate this job, BUT I'd rather be doing this than be working in marketing, like so many of my college professors encouraged me to do.

Contrary to popular belief, money does not the man (or woman) make. In all honesty, I think you're putting too much emphasis on your job/career as a measure of your self-worth. My dad used to be a janitor and, all things considered, he's one of the best, most intelligent people I know (seriously, you don't want to take him on playing Jeopardy).

Every now and then, I do look around at my life and think, "Wow, I went through 4 years of college, and here I am working part-time, minimum wage." But I have another friend who's a few months younger than me, got a job right out of college and just bought a house--and she constantly fantasizes about quitting her job. Money, success and status don't necessarily equate to happiness in life.

And, finally, regarding the "girls only want wealthy, successful men," that's both right and wrong. Sure, most women aren't going to be too keen about settling down with an unemployed bum with no goals or aspirations in life--but, from the sound of it, you're neither a bum nor do you lack goals/direction. Heck, the fact that you moved out at 17 and got yourself into school is proof enough of your not being any of those things; when I was 17, I was in no way prepared for "real life."

You were; you succeeded at it at an earlier age than most people are able to. There's nothing wrong with quitting a job where you're not happy; I'm about to do the same thing--yes, without another job lined up, but I have enough saved up to last it out for several months.

We're young; 24 years old is just starting out, in terms of life. So, take a deep breath, do what you need to do, and just embrace life--and yourself--for what you are, rather than what you're not.

...now, if only I could take my own advice.

Archived