Flight Attendants

Pink Sugar

I've never noticed this outside of actually being on an airplane. When I'm on an airplane, I am more observant than I would be in real life, and then you have a woman behaving (acting/pretending/whatever) kindly towards you and you notice her. It's just one of those things where in real life you'd be too busy or too preoccupied to focus on just any random girl (unless she's wearing next to nothing), but when you're stuck on a plane you tend to pay more attention to things -- like women who are constantly moving up and down the aisle. I don't think there's anything particularly sexy about being a flight attendant and I've never heard any guys mention it, and I hang around my fair share of players, ballers, morons, and wanna-be's to where I'd remember.

While flying, she's usually the only visible woman, so I look at her.

She holds up a tiny seatbelt and clicks it

She brings me six peanuts and a $4 prole beer.

So I look at her.

She's got my attention.

In the days before air travel deregulation (which came in 1978 for the USA and much later for the rest of the world), airlines were not allowed to compete on price. The only way they could compete with each other for market share was through image and on-board service.

Air hostesses in the 1950s and early 1960s were marketed by airline advertising as "mother figures" taking care of the travelling businessman; you'd see ads of them dressed in military-like sober suits patting children's heads and emphasizing the service side of the job.

With the late 1960s, the image of the flight attendant was instead sexualized by advertisers; the uniforms got tighter, skirts got shorter --and the aspect of the flight attendant as a bubbly, young, single and available girl always looking for some fun (or a husband) took hold. You'd see them in ads, movies, TV series... It was a highly glamourized image which was so demeaning in many ways for college-educated, trained professional women who were essentially marketed as titillating pieces of meat for bait to the precious businessman traveller.

Coupled with this, on-the-job discrimination was rampant. F/As were required to be and remain single and childless, or get sacked. The weight restrictions that they had to follow were so stringent and model-like that it made many of them develop eating disorders. They got fired by the time they reached their 30s, without exceptions.

So naturally people (workers and non-workers alike) rebelled, mobilized, unionized, protested, sued, won, and turned the profession into a career in which the sexual image of the past had little or no space in which to thrive.

Nowadays, airlines compete mostly on price, and in the Western world, flight attendants are barely ever seen in advertising. The workforce is a lot older, less stereotypically doll-like, and given how overworked and underpaid they are, a lot less appealing as a profession.

But the cultural remnants of the hot, young, sexually liberated, independent, accommodating and available flight attendant remain. You see them on Britney videos, on films like "View from the Top", and of course in non-American airline ads everywhere.

That's it. Lecture's over. Back to my soup. *cough*

mile high club

I was just going to say....

Plus, women are often attracted to a man in uniform...I suppose the same principle could apply to men.

Perhaps the uniform assists in depersonalizing someone so it's easier to objectify them, kind of a stepford wife sort of thing...she's there, in her crisp blue skirt, tight bun in her hair, her breasts tugging at the buttons of her starched white blouse, ready to cater to your needs....

Like women don't fall for certain stereotypes...visit any male strip club and you basically get a fireman, and the Villiage People....

While flying, she's usually the only visible woman, so I look at her.

She holds up a tiny seatbelt and clicks it

She brings me six peanuts and a $4 prole beer.

So I look at her.

She's got my attention.

If you were to draw the male "domestic" dream it would be a flight attendant. Dressed in uniform, smiling, handing you a beer and something to eat while you watch TV.

I don't think men are more attracted to individual flight attendants, they are just attracted to the ideal.

Perhaps the uniform assists in depersonalizing someone so it's easier to objectify them, kind of a stepford wife sort of thing...she's there, in her crisp blue skirt, tight bun in her hair, her breasts tugging at the buttons of her starched white blouse, ready to cater to your needs....

i can say air canada is far from this image.. at least the flights that i've been on.

You preach nothing but the truth, sister. My sister was a flight attendant in the late '60s-early '70s. She was fired because her looks began to fade, at 28! It was a total farce and men bought into it.

What's to buy into? Hot women serving food and drinks and doing their best to keep me comfortable? It's a win-win situation!

Sometimes, the old ways, however "inequal" or whatever, we just... better.

What's to buy into? Hot women serving food and drinks and doing their best to keep me comfortable? It's a win-win situation!

Sometimes, the old ways, however "inequal" or whatever, we just... better.

Let me explain to you how win-win works...

There needs to be two wins.

Archived