'Weird' because I'm individual

All my life, I've been dubbed as 'weird' or 'nerdy' because I'm eccentric and of advanced intelligence for my age. I thought it was my big break when I went to a school for bright people, but...

I've been told not to read Shakespeare in my spare time because it just makes it worse but I don't see why I have to give up things I enjoy because they're not cool enough. I'm fine with standing out but I don't want to be punished for it.

This is eNotAlone, so I was hoping someone could empathize?

I was 'exceptionally gifted' when I was a kid, too, and my main memory is the awful sense of isolation, because although I was intellectually advanced, the emotional development and social adjustment took a bit longer. I also went through terrible emotional traumas during my late teens, and I sincerely hope that it isn't this way for you.

I'd make the following observations:

- If you're precocious, other people will catch up intellectually and in a few years' time you will have many more people on your wavelength.

- You don't say how old you are, but youngsters will often pick on others for ANY reason which makes them 'different', not just intellectual ones.

- If you are cheerful and sociable, and interact well with your peer group - not being defensive and so on - you are less likely to be picked on.

May I ask who told you not to read Shakespeare in your spare time?

I can empathize... I never went to a school for smart people, but I've always been considered "advanced."

When I was a teenager my big thing was studying Theology. I actually read the bible in my spare time. I am not a Christian but I read it out of fascination. I also read a lot of other sacred texts. I remember my sister telling me how weird that was and that people think I am strange. And I am sure people did. Thing is, I didn't really care.

I don't know how old you are. I am just guessing you are younger. If I am wrong then I apologize. But if you are younger, I can tell you it's not as bad as an adult. People have more respect for intelligence in adulthood. As long as you aren't arrogant about it.

Poor Shadow! I am sorry you are going through such a rough time, but I heartily agree with the others - it will get better, trust!

And from your description, that is precisely the sort of person I would be wild to have as a friend - and I am dead sure I am not the only one to feel that way. You will make many friends, some better than others, and even better, some actually and truly worthy of being in such a role. Stay strong, and keep your chin up... unless your nose is buried in a book, which is, of course, the ideal place to be, in my humble opinion!

Most importantly, and as the old fellow said, "To thine own self be true." Do not let anyone curb your enthusiasms, or make you feel degraded for your inclinations, or in any manner trim your wings. This is a huge red flag to any relationship, and if it is one you can toss, do so. If it is one you are stuck with, like a family member, say, then learn to assume your most inscrutable smile and politely thank them for their input, before carrying on doing precisely what you like. You are the one who knows you best. Do not let anyone convince you differently, or hold you back. Your star is rising. Do not let others, jealous or fearful, or both, bring you down to their limited levels, and fetter you there.

It is nice to meet you, Shadow! I do hope you post more, and let us know how you are doing, as well. Take care.

I'd also say that when you get older, people may still consider you to be weird or nerdy. Let them!

Remember this joke:

Q. What do you call a nerd in 20 years time?

A. 'Boss!'

I also like the definition of a nerd as 'someone who's an expert in an area you're not interested in'!

I used to find it very hurtful at school being picked on by those around me - I was also put up a year, which really didn't help! I got round it by being very, very naughty; so I couldn't be described as a goody-goody, and also realised in time that I could make people laugh, which really helped. You are exceptionally bright, and I'm sure you'll find your own way through.

As an adult, on both my first degree and graduate degree courses, I've found there are still people who will mock students who work hard and do well. Who do you think has got the problem here, the one with the Distinction or the one who's trying to bring them down?

I agree with Wager - and don't let those around you spoil your sensitive soul!

(((HUGS)))

All my life, I've been dubbed as 'weird' or 'nerdy' because I'm eccentric and of advanced intelligence for my age. I thought it was my big break when I went to a school for bright people, but...

I've been told not to read Shakespeare in my spare time because it just makes it worse but I don't see why I have to give up things I enjoy because they're not cool enough. I'm fine with standing out but I don't want to be punished for it.

This is eNotAlone, so I was hoping someone could empathize?

As long as what you're doing isn't offending anyone or destroying your personal life, I don't see what the problem is. Don't neglect nourishing yourself with learning because others are intimidated and don't want to be challenged by you.

I've been told not to read Shakespeare in my spare time because it just makes it worse but I don't see why I have to give up things I enjoy because they're not cool enough.

There''s nothing wrong with reading Shakespeare. People who say so haven't read him; the plays are largely popular entertainment, actually. The comedies generally fall on the side of farce, and the plots wouldn't be far out of place in a typical TV sitcom, even if the language is different and wittier.

I wouldn't make any particular effort to fit in. In my experience, your average high school student - and I'm assuming that's your age, since "a school for bright people" is called "college" when you're older - is simply not going to forgive you for being intelligent, no matter what you do. Eventually you'll form social circles with a brighter crowd, and it won't matter.

Archived