I need to make a change- weight, diet, exercise.

I suppose I am seeking a little bit of advice encouragement, just need to write this down so I have proof! this will be long and boring but I just want to lay everything out so I can see it and if anyone wants to chip in something I dont notice.

I have come to the conclusion that I have gained weight...slowly, but at this point I do not want this to continue. I am an active person and I have never been overweight nor do I want to become. I need to make some changes so I can get back to the healthy lifestyle I have had for my whole life. Here is the scoop.

I am 21, 5'10" and now 150-ish pounds. I used to be (like 4 years ago) 130, this isn't my goal weight, I think I was still maturing at that point. But I think 140 is a reasonable goal for me- and that is what I used to be not so long ago. I have gone slowly to size 4, 6, and now I am looking at size 8's for clothes and I don't have money to buy new clothes!!

I have been thinking of what I need to do to get back to that weight, which I have slowly crept away from in about a year +. It is winter and I can attribute some of the weight gain to that, because you just sit around do less, eat more (well I do!)

I own a horse and riding is my main form of exercise, however I pay to keep him at a farm where they do all the chores, so I no longer expend energy throwing hay bales or pushing a wheel barrow around. And this winter has been very icey so I haven't had much saddle time.

As far as diet, I don't drink soda, no chips/fries, I am mostly vegetarian- eating meat maybe once a week. I tend to drink soymilk instead of reg milk. But I am not sure how that compares caloric/fat wise because it's not lite.

I don't eat a lot of unhealthy food, so can't just wack those things out unfortunately. My one weakness is I DO like chocolate and I keep a bar of dark in my car and might have a little square every so often.

I have a road bike and I eventually want to start taking that to the barn to ride- I did it about twice in jan/feb, but we had huge amts of snow and its cooold.

My plan thus far is to start a more consistent diet and watch portions. I am a bit of a nibbler and I need to watch that or have something healthy to nibble on. I also tend to have this 'crash' around 3pm where I get tired or hungry and need a little pick me up. Usually after a long day of class. I don't mind the taste of healthy boring 'unsweet' things. And I think I can trim off some calories at breakfast and lunch.

breakfast:

steel cut oatmeal (I can eat this stuff w/o sugar), or plain yogurt with grape nuts and either berries or a touch of honey.

lunch: I really like rice and I am thinking I could use this because it would keep me full. We had this brown rice mix the other night that had lentils and some other things in it. And a piece of fruit or more yogurt, or hard boiled egg.

Dinner- I am usually fine at dinner. just no desserts!

And if I get my bike up and running I think I should be on my way to a healthier me. I don't care if this takes months and I think it will get easier when the weather warms up because I am an outdoors persons, I just can't go to the gym, its so awful!

Good plan. I'd also pay close attention to eating times and frequency of eating which you didn't mention. Avoid eating dinner within two hours of going to bed (earlier the better) and try to eat 4-6 healthy (smaller) meals a day rather than 3 healthy (larger) meals a day. If you feed your body with something every 2-3 hours studies have shown you will speed up your metabolism and this will aid you in your calorie burning process. Because you're active make sure you feed your body with enough protein to keep your muscles strong. Strong muscles help burn fat. 10 lbs is a very reasonable goal so you should do well.

By the way, dark chocolate is actually really good for you.

oh good, I love chocolate- but I do think it's a bad habit of mine to keep it around!

I think more smaller meals might work for me. I always feel hungry, it's awful. Like now, I had 2 eggs, 1 piece toast, and an apple for breakfast 2 hours ago and now my stomach is grumbling. If I am out doing something and am preoccupied I don't notice and can go for hours and hours with no food.

oh good, I love chocolate- but I do think it's a bad habit of mine to keep it around!

I think more smaller meals might work for me. I always feel hungry, it's awful. Like now, I had 2 eggs, 1 piece toast, and an apple for breakfast 2 hours ago and now my stomach is grumbling. If I am out doing something and am preoccupied I don't notice and can go for hours and hours with no food.

Your breakfast choices can be made better. Up your intake of fiber for breakfast and you'll feel full much longer. Another alternative is take that breakfast and split it into two meals. Have your 2 eggs with toast and save the apple/add yogurt for your morning snack (1-2 hours later). This should hold you over till lunch. Also, keep in mind that if you get use to smaller portions of food your stomach will actually shrink and you'll no longer feel this grumbling hunger, but this will take some time. Another good trick is to do reverse eating. Typically most busy people will eat a small breakfast (if any) and then a bigger lunch and then a massive dinner really late before bed. From that you can see that they are eating heavier meals as the day progresses. Instead, make your breakfast the biggest meal of the day, make sure it keeps you nice and full till lunch, and then start having smaller meals, even eliminating dinner but having two smaller food portions, one after work, and one two hours or more before bed. In other words, eat the majority of your calorie intake in the morning so that your body has an opportunity to burn these calories durning the day.

Well that's good : ) Weight loss is definitely a challenging thing..trust me I know I've given up so many times but this time I'm sticking with it and I can already tell I'm smaller in my stomach area, so I commend you for making this change in life style. Just don't give up and eventually you'll see the difference. It will take a long time but in the end it'll be all worth it.

Good luck

annie- thats a cool site! Thanks so much, already signed up and got my log going. I love how they have activities and food for everything....like calories burned feeding livestock (check!) hehe. I'm excited about this thing

Always helps me to keep hardboiled eggs in the fridge for the afternoon crash, I just skip the yolk. The protein fills me up and knocks back the blood sugar.

I also keep sunglasses at my desk and throw them on to walk outside whenever I get monitor head and need to pull my eyes off the screen. A good pedometer helps to ensure I'm walking enough each day (skip the cheap ones, they fail quickly). Walking feels tame compared to my workouts, but it's so easy to throw into my day. Moving my weight accross the earth without the impetus of running actually aids allover muscle tone better and faster than anything else I've tried, especially when I keep my arms pulled up above my waist. This extra walking really helps me peel off weight after I've been bad, and I'm in my smaller pants more quickly than when I rely on scheduled exercise alone.

In your corner.

Archived