JoeK_19

I see a lot of negativity around here regarding the online dating thing, so I figured I'd share a positive experience.

I joined POF & OKC a few months after getting out of a LTR when I felt I was ready to "get back on the scene". I'm not anti-social, but I do have trouble meeting new people (slightly awkward socially and apparently I can come off as snobbish or shady upon first meeting...I'm working on it), so I opted for the online route as an option. About 2 months into it I was a day or so away from deleting both accounts after a few bad dates and email exchanges from gals who probably had no intention of ever meeting in person. I made a few online chat pals with similar interests and did meet a few folks with a "friends only" attitude going in.

When I was thinking of deleting my profiles, I opted to send a message to a gal who turned up in my OKC Quiver (if these anagrams or terms don't make sense to you, you probably shouldn't be browsing the "Cyber" section here). She had a couple of somewhat blurry pictures and her profile was very brief and didn't give much insight, but we lived in the same town. My message was "Hey, the thingy says I have to send you a message to add you to my quiver...whatever the hell a "quiver" is...so anyway, 'message'." A few days later I got a reply based on similar musical tastes. On a side note, I started with a brief description, but the more I added to my profiles, the more responses I got to sent messages (seems that girls are "mysterious" with a short profile, but dudes are "shady"). Rather than replying with unoriginal discussion of the bands we both like or "here's my AIM, drop me a line" I told her I had a really bad day and wanted to get out tonight and asked if she wanted to come out (full transcript available upon request). It was the truth and she agreed, sent me her phone # and we met up less than an hour later.

2 months later we're still hanging out a lot and chatting/emailing on a daily basis. I guess you could say we're "dating"...we're getting to know each other slowly. There's been lots of making out/heavy petting...no sex, which I'm okay with. It's weird being in a LTR for a long time when kissing/petting inevitably leads to sex, going to dating when you have to get to know someone and build a bond before sex is even considered a possibility. (BTW--we're both mid/late 20's, decent careers, both live alone w/pets)

Anyway...just throwing my story out there for those with online apprehensions. I obviously don't know what the future holds for me and her, but things have worked out well so far. Don't be a pu**y when you're talking to chicks online, but don't be too cocky either. Be yourself, be confident

Sweet, I tried okc not too long ago and ended up deleting my profile, but im thinking of giving it another try. I got the impression that people are there "hook up" mainly, but I am glad to hear that it at least worked for you.

Jas...like I said, I had mixed experiences. I'm a good dude, so I figured there had to be one or two "good girls" on there also. It's tough filtering through the crap, and I'm sure as a gal you get a lot more messages than I ever did on OKC (who knows, maybe I sent you a flirty message). Good luck, don't count anything out.

Yeah, same here. I got a few here and there that fizzled into nothing but its all good. I guess everything has its time (or at least thats what I keep telling myself lol). When your online, you have to do alot more weeding, and I have to say this for both sides. Thanks for the luck, Im certainly going to need it haha.

My results were 50/50...I had another profile, and deleted it, but created a new one under this name but haven't done anything to it.

I messaged a few on the old profile and talked to one, but she was long distance. But I did meet a very cool girl whom I've been hanging out with and talking to for the past month. Still trying to see if it goes anywhere as I'm not sure how I feel about her yet lol. I need to hang out with her more.

Archived