Ugh I've just started college but I feel like dropping out already :(

MATH JUST RUINS EVERYTHING FOR ME. I take an introduction to college alegbra and I already took college math in high school because I was in honors class(which I failed one time) but I still do terribly. The strange thing is that I don't have any problems with learning "new material" and I generally understand but when I do my homework(which is online) and take a quiz or exam(took an exam last week and failed I do so badly and I don't know why. And I can't even ask for help because I don't even know what the problem is and it makes me so fustrated, and stupid, and I just end up being depressed. It's really important that I get at least a C because it's a prerequirement for bio 101 and I'm a pre med student..and I don't see myself doing anything else but pursing a career in medicine help..

Most premed students are told not to get below a B in any course in their college career... You need to consider that premed is going to have alot more math core than just introduction classes. Try talking to tutors, they bring up grades by a whole letter usually and i guarantee your school has some available for you right now.

I did the same thing, except I placed myself in an upper tier math course that I should have never been in. Anyways, I had no clue what was going on in that class and pretty much failed my way out because I never went and asked for help. Do yourself a favor and go to the professor and say you don't understand and you want help. Go to tutoring if they offer it too. If the professor knows you're trying they are more apt to give you the benefit of the doubt grade wise at the end of the semester. If you're really that passionate about premed do not let it ruin your chances down the road to getting into medschool etc. You have to work at it especially hard and just get the math out of the way and get into the more bio based classes. Goodluck.

You have a BUNCH of great advice to pick from here. My first suggestion would be to get yourself to a math tutor, and quick. I have the same problem as you. I'd sit in a math class, watch the teacher/professor work out problems on the board, and it'd make sense. But the second I had to do it on my own, I just ended up lost and frustrated.

I never went to a tutor; basically, I pulled in mostly Cs and low Bs in high school. In college, I failed my first math class. I failed SO badly that even if I'd gotten a perfect score on the final, I still would've failed the class. The second time around, I lived and breathed math--I was a writing major, so I only had to get through that one class, so I dedicated my education to it. And, when necessary, I hounded friends for help.

You need to be proactive. Talk to your professor--I guarantee they've dealt with similar students before. Or, if you're good at something else (like writing or proofreading) offer to "trade" tutoring services with a friend or classmate; you help them with what you're good at, and they help you with math. It's win-win.

In the long-run, though, Coldplay has a point: math a huge part of the medical field, so if you're struggling with intro. courses, it's likely to get a lot worse from here on out.

Try to get with a tutor if you can. I wasn't always a math guy myself, but after meeting with some tutors and utilizing some much needed late night study habits, I turned out to be pretty decent. But I also noticed that having a good instructor can make a great difference as well.

Of course I would ask a tutour if I knew that exactly I'm messing up on but I don't know..and I'm in my second semester

Then Step 1 would be to go to your professor and ask nicely for all your past exams/assignments (provided they take them back - if not you should have them).

Step 2 would be to find the tutor and the first session would be to analyze your past exams/assignments to find out what you're not getting.

I don't know how it is in the US. However, here in Canada you need a minimum of 3.7 GPA in undergrad to even get looked at for medical school. That is an A/B+.

This is on top of stellar MCAT marks - which require you to know mental math down pat for the physics, chem, and bio sections.

I can't even ask for help because I don't even know what the problem is and it makes me so fustrated, and stupid, and I just end up being depressed.

What I am exploiting from your descriptions is extremely abnormal college behavior. The reality is, you do know what the problem is. You would not be arguing, if you did not understand the truth.

You need to get into face to face contact with the higher ups in your med department. It is only you, that will take you where you belong. Kudos for your actions.

Of course I would ask a tutour if I knew that exactly I'm messing up on but I don't know..and I'm in my second semester

If you knew this, you wouldn't need a tutor. Someone who understands math can catch your patterns. If you stuff this problem, it will sabotage you. If you quit, it will haunt you forever. Brave this out by reaching out. You'll thank yourself later.

NO I don't know..I specifically said that I generally understand all the material we're learning but still do poorly or quizz, exams, homework...I will try asking tutours but if I can't do it then I can't do it..not worth the headache

Your 'general understanding' is apparently not as good as you believe it to be. You can be stubborn, or you can be smart about this. Your call.

I will repeat myself when I say take those exams, quizzes, homework TO THE TUTOR... they are hired to raise your mark... in other words: figure out what you're doing wrong.

I know you're still in first year - so you have several years yet to mature and gain some better study skills etc... but this attitude...

NO I don't know..I specifically said that I generally understand all the material we're learning but still do poorly or quizz, exams, homework...I will try asking tutours but if I can't do it then I can't do it..not worth the headache

...will not help you with the really tough years of applications, interviews, academia, and career you have ahead of you.

Archived