Can I trust ultrasounds since mammo didn't find my last cancer?

Docs are now monitoring me with ultrasounds (and self-exams) since mammo last year didn't find my stage II cancer. Not sure about this, about if I can even trust an ultrasound. Guess MRI's are too expensive?

Anyone have experience with tissue density and ultrasounds? (I have VERY "dense" tissue which is why mammo never saw it).

Even the doctors seem hazy about it - like they can't really know for sure.

So I have to get poked for a biopsy every time I feel something? Grrrrrr....

I've always been of the opinion that you should get a 2nd and third opinion for things like that. I don't know what that means in terms of a mammo vs. an ultrasound, but i'd look into every avenue if i was uncertain, especially since you've already had stage II

I agree with the other poster, when it comes to cancer, it pays to get 2nd or even 3rd opinions. You want to make sure you are making the right choices since you are trying to keep in remission.

I didn't know MRI's could be used to spot cancer. I've had MRI's done before but for some spinal and neck and head issues.

Ultrasounds are actually better at detecting abnormalities. The problem with ultrasounds though is that because they're so good at detecting things, the doctor can sometimes have difficulty telling the difference between something that's normal and something that's abnormal.

Ultrasounds are actually better at detecting abnormalities. The problem with ultrasounds though is that because they're so good at detecting things, the doctor can sometimes have difficulty telling the difference between something that's normal and something that's abnormal.

Yes, that is what just happened to me. Ultrasound found something and I had to have a needle biopsy (which was negative, thank God). But still, I fear one day it's going to come back and won't be detected in time. I do not know exactly how reliable ultrasounds are (I only know mammos are useless to me due).

Archived