Getting a Job Back that you Left

I had a job. I did not finish my probation. I had to leave to go out of town because of an illness in the family. I handled it the wrong way. I have been out of work and cant find a job. I really should have not left. The company does not hire back former employees. This job was perfect for me. I have been thru depression and cannot hardly make it on unemployment, I get 1/2 of what everyone else gets. I have talked to the big boss about rehiring me. He has never gotten back with me, this was about 3 mos ago. I have reapplied for my job. All I get is the usual form letter saying "we have decided to go with applicants more qualified." You know the routine letter of decline. I pray for a miracle to get my job back. I was so good at it and just made a bad decision. Stupidity. Can anyone tell me how, if there is a way, that I can get my job back, how I can get the company to accept me back when they don't rehire people. I really need this job. I am losing everything.

I'm sorry that you're going through this.

However, did you burn bridges when you left the job? Did you give a two weeks notice?

Many companies do not rehire former employees, however if you were an exceptional worker, then is there possibly a supervisor who can vouch for you?

Write a letter to your employer (directly to the person responsible for hiring decisions) and convey to them your situation. Explain that you were given a great opportunity with their company but due to family illness and unfortunate personal circumstances you were unable to continue with employment there. Explain to them that you feel well fit for this position now and that having put your personal problems behind you are ready to make a positive contribution to the company and that you'd be delighted to get an opportunity to contribute to the firm at this time. Instead of ending your letter with just that, tell them something along these lines also:

"If you feel you are unable to provide me with an opportunity for employment in your firm at this time, please let me know what steps I can take, if any, which would allow me to be considered for this position again as I am willing to do whatever is necessary to be eligable for employment with your organization in the future."

Saying something like this at the end gives you another opportunity to get feedback from this employer on what you can do to get back in there and shows them that you are really willing to go above and beyond to get your position back. Continue to resubmit letters and applications every 12 weeks. Persistance also pays off when it comes to employers.

Thank you guys for your advice. I am gonna write the letter. I liked what you advised me to say. My problem is that I didn't give a 2 wks notice. But I feel so good about writing the letter and getting the advice on what to put in it. I am going to send it personally thru the mail. Thank you so much. It helped. I had not considered doing this. Thank you, thank you.

honestly you're much better off searching for a similar job somewhere else. If they have a policy of not rehiring and you left without giving notice, there's very little chance they'll even consider you for the job unless you were a perfect employee while there.

True but it doesn't hurt to try, especially since it merely takes a one page letter and a follow up every few months. Even if there is a slight chance I'd say it's all worth it.

I think you are so right. It is worth it. I thank you for the information. I'm gonna write the letter, use what you gave me, and who knows, the Lord could change their hearts and they could rehire me. GOD has been known to work miracles. I really need a job. Thank you.

Thank you for your information. I wrote the letter and included what you advised me of. I do also believe that persistance pays off. I also believe in the Lord above and know that he can touch the hearts of someone and change a situation around. Thank you for the information you gave me. Hopefully it will work.

Archived