ahhh! feel like I'm failing at life...

prov31gu

Ok...I'm new here, but I needed to get this out...somehow.

so I'm 23. I just got a new job in food service, and I feel like I'm failing miserably at it. I get incredibly anxious and nervous and it makes me forget simple things really easily and I can't seem to focus well. When I am cooking at home, I am fine, no problems at all--I can think really excellently, have an amazingly detailed memory about almost everything--I absolutely KNOW I'm not an idiot.

Granted, this is my 3rd day of work. But still, I feel like I should be acting smarter and more mature than I am. For example, I was making my first delivery. But I didn't get the drink the customer ordered, so I offered to go back and get it for her. When I returned, the secretary took it for her and asked if she'd paid for it. I told her it was okay, she didn't have to because it was our mess up. I thought that it hadn't been rung up, but I realized later that she had paid for it earlier. Now I don't know what to do. I was given responsibility and failed. I went home after my shift and cried and berated myself over and over and over and worked myself into a headache. I don't know if I want to go back because I am afraid this specific incident will be a problem later and that I won't be able to handle holding down this job. So much is riding on getting a job and keeping it--I need the income badly for various necessities.

Inside of my head, it is like this almost constantly. I get anxious about almost everything, mostly small, stupid things, like whether or not I put mayo on a customer's sandwich. Whenever I talk to people about my fears, they Sometimes I feel like I am the only one who feels this way. Other people my age and younger have jobs and even relationships, and they do fine. They can just DO the job--it comes easily to them. I can't get past whatever this is, and it stops me from doing normal things and enjoying the fact that I actually DO have a job in tough economy.

I am wondering if I might have some sort of disorder, like GAD or depression? That's what it seems like, because these feelings aren't going away. What can I do? arggh ](*,)

Ok, first of all, stop being so hard on yourself. Noone is perfect and everyone makes mistakes. It's always nerve racking starting a new job and only natural that these nerves will affect your performance. It will get much easier in time and when you get used to your surroundings you will thrive I've been there myself and believe me, it took me a hell of a lot more than 3 days to settle in! Also, comparing yourself to other people is absolutely useless as far as

Have the anxious feelings been there before you got this job or have they just recently developed?

Theblueman123: Usually what happens is that I have a hard time focusing and understanding people when they give me instructions because I'm so preoccupied and anxious with whether or not I am doing or will do it correctly. It kinda backfires as that's when I tend to make mistakes or mishear something, and then I feel like I'm stupid.

I don't know if it's a habit or what, but it does seem to affect my ability to reason, function, and even use common sense.

Also I am always anxious about various little things that really shouldn't matter at all (no one else really takes them as seriously as I do).

So...yes to both questions? lol.

Springs: Thanks for the encouragement...I guess I am being too hard on myself. I ate something and feel a little better (haven't eaten since 8 this morning). I spoke to a family member as well, who gave about the same advice, and seemed a lot more nonchalant about it--which helped.

And yes, anxiety=almost constantly.

Archived