Aaahhh!?!?!?!

renegade43

Ok, I moved out of my ex'es house and wasn't with my cat for over a month. Now I have my own place and my cat is with me. He is SO HAPPY!!! I mean, he is actually demanding he wants attention so badly, which I enjoy.

The issue is that a good friend of mine has a cat thats 17 years old that he wants to get rid of. Long story short, some things are changing around his house logistically and its just too difficult for him to keep her. So, I offered to take her, but I'm concerned that having her with me will upset the new, exciting relationship I have with MY cat.....

...that and I moved to someplace that has a lot of open space and I'd like to get a dog sometime this spring...Oh, and I'm a single guy who works until 3:30 every day....

Opinions?

Thanks

Well, as for the 17 year old cat, yes, it might upset the balance. It sort of depends on the cats' personalities and can be hard to predict. We introduced a third cat into our household of 2 sister cats, who used to get along quite well and snuggle together, and now it's each cat for herself and none of them are very friendly with each other! On the other hand, I know pet households where it has worked great and everyone is buddy buddy.

If the friend is already counting on you, it's difficult to justify pulling out of the agreement, but if he has time to make other arrangements, then you could ask him too. Remember also that a dog might be stressful for a 17 year old cat, and that you're bound to be in and out of the vet's quite often for her in the coming years, as she nears the end of her life.

The new cat might upset the relationship that exists with your only child today lol......

One other thing to consider, 17 isnt young for cats......you are looking at taking a cat on that might require health care or worse, euthanasia in the next FEW years *knock on wood it isnt sooner*, so you might be signing up for some unexpected vet bills.

Yeah, i kinda expected that. My friend has had her outside her whole life, and just kept feeding her. Now as shes getting older she wants attention, and she runs inside his house etc. He told me he was thinking of having her put to sleep, which is insane if there's nothing medically wrong with her.

Archived