Online relationships are too hard and complicated

Chantal87

(sorry for the length...) About 3 weeks ago I decided to go into a relationship with a guy I met online. We have not met yet. We started talking before I broke up with my ex (its been about a month now since we ended it) So I recently told this online guy that I need time because im still thinking about my ex and I dont think im ready for a relationship and that we rushed into it too quickly so I want a break. He then got annoyed with me saying why I didnt tell him before because everything was good until now and that I will never be over my ex, that I will always care about him. I said I wanted him to still be in my life but I just need more time.

He used to date another girl online a few years ago, and last night explained to me that "she is the only girl id run away with. But she lives half a world away and has a boyfriend". How am I supposed to take that? I was a little offended considering he said he loves me, but apparently Im not supposed to care because we broke up and are just friends. This made me a little mad as he said that I wanted a break but still want him to care about me like we are in a relationship. he said I have tonight to figure out what I want. Ok wth?

On another note I dont know if im ready for a relationship, starting with an online guy I have never met. I just started talking to a guy(lets call him Sam) in person that lives close to my city who is freinds with my cousin and he seems cool. We decided to meet up friday with a bunch of people...I guess my question is, what the hell do I do with this online guy and should I just be freinds and see what happens with the guy who lives close to me? Ugh...utter confusion. Story of my life lol.

I don't think you're ready nor does this guy sound a bit stable in his feelings and what he said to you was in fact rude. That would upset anyone.

I would just let it go and let the time tell. If he really does love and care about you, he'll stick around but keep your options open.

Honestly, after doing the long distance thing a couple of times, I'd never start a "relationship" unless the person was local, and I'd use online to do no more than basic screening, as a spring board to a real first date in person. You just don't learn all that much about a person without spending a lot of time with them face to face.

To be honest it was an extremely insensitive thing to say but I just wonder if he's just being childish. He feels you'll always be hung up on your ex and he may well be dealing with it in a 'see how you like it' sort of way.

Another possibility is he may have been drinking or was tired and not exactly in the mood to mince his words.

I am inclined to sympathise with him to a certain extent. It's unfortunate that you hadn't resolved issues with your former relationship before you allowed someone else to get so involved.

Archived