Trying to avoid...clichés

OntheWire

So I'm in Starbucks this morning and I see this guy come up to the counter after me. He looks at the cute barista, smiles, and asks how she's doing this morning. They banter back and forth a little bit, neither one of them saying anything terribly original, but still keeping smiles and interest a'blaze.

My problem: I cringe at the thought of this type of interaction. Is that really the only way to engage interest in the opposite sex? Are we doomed to an established scroll of cliché opening questions and cliché facial expressions as we enter the game of attraction?

I'm definitely curious because my more original approaches have usually left the woman with a dumbfounded look. Sometimes she'll laugh at first, but it'll still tend to converge to dumbfoundedness after a while.

I know what you mean...I hate all those clichés. The clichés for women really grate on me...batting eyelashes, twirling hair, acting giggly and silly, touching the guy's arm, little back glances as she walks by. Makes me want to heave into a toilet when I see women acting so silly and men just falling over their feet over these walking clichés!

It's not cliches its just how people act when meeting a stranger. A scripted interaction, yes, but functional. A little 30 second conversation about nothing can tell you a lot about someone. You don't have to be "original" when talking to someone, just friendly.

I would have to say that there are some formalities that most people seem to expect in a conversation and it can be difficult trying to avoid those formalities. However, if you dont like the cliches or formalities then dont do them, you may have less success but at least you will be able to say that you are being original.

Archived