Feeling screwed over at new job...

I'm 21 and a hair stylist. I've been doing hair for about 3 years now but do not have my licence yet. I recently quit my part time job of a year and half due to being unhappy with the company. I found another job before i quit my old job... At this new job i was told i would be getting about 36 hours a week which was more then my old job of about 22-27.. My new job i work under a lady who has her own hairstyling business and it is just me and her working there.... I guess I am just feeling cheated of this new job. I have been there for not quite two months, and my first two weeks she only had me working 28 hours a week, next two weeks after that it was only 23 hours a week... and my LAST paycheck it was 21 hours a week. Not even close to what she had told me i would be getting. I am also getting paid LESS then at my old job, but was promised more hours so i thoght it would work out to be the same. Turns out not. I feel totally cheated on this but then again I sort of blame myself for it because i do not have a huge clientelle to rely on. But she also told me before i took the job that she had a previous girls clientelle for me...

I dont know what to do. I hated the place I was working at before, and i really do enjoy this new job but i am not getting the hours she had promised!!! I cant afford to live off of her paychecks. Thinking about getting a second job but then i feel stupid and well should of just stayed at the old one...

Ugh... I dont want to confront her because i feel like its going on me aswell that i do not have a steady clientelle and it is my fault that i am not getting the hours i was told i would get.

Any advice???

Is there anyway to advertise yourself so that you have more people coming into the shop? I think you need to try and help yourself by getting yourself out there! If that doesn't work, maybe you should try and get a part time job to give yourself some more hrs. I don't think the lady is purposely trying to screw you over. She just doesn't want to be screwed over herself as the owner of the shop and if she's giving you more hrs that's obviously less money that she makes.

I think you should talk to your boss about it. According to what you said, she didn't guarantee you the hours, she said you'd be getting "about 36 hours" a week. She might have thought that's how it'd work out, but clientele and/or circumstances changed things.

You don't necessarily have to "confront" her about the situation. You could just pull her aside and ask her when, or if, she things you might be getting closer to 36 hours. If she's unsure, then, yeah, I'd say you need to figure out what you're gonna do since you're not making enough money to live on.

AJEDrew7 has good point about your trying to bring in more clients, but, as you mentioned, you could also try to find another job. If, after talking to your boss, it's clear that you're going to be sticking to a 20-hour work week, you should be able to fit in another job somewhere. I don't know your specific circumstances, but for me, working two jobs--one full-time, the other part-time--wasn't all that difficult. Given, my part-time job had really pretty flexible hours, but it's definitely do-able, if necessary.

So, do you have other job options available in your area?

Archived