Sick of stereotyping

WindowTo

I am 24 and recently moved to Delaware for work after graduating college. A few months ago I got a new room mate in the flat that I live in. Overall I think he is a really good guy. I thought he was a good dude from the moment I met him, he seems very friendly and even compassionate. He told me this story about how he had a hard childhood because his brother was gay and died of aids. That he was persecuted in school because of this. That is why I was so dissapointed when last night he dropped a bomb, my OTHER roomate was talking about the cable bill and the new guy says: "is it possible that you are even more Jewish than Windowto?".

Since I moved here, it seems that even people that I consider(ed) friends have no qualms about making comments like this. Does this sort of thing really come off as ok to say to the majority of the population?

I don't make a big deal about it, although I do make it clear that I am uncomfortable with comments like this. I have a problem with people assuming that I, my father, my brother, my sister, my own mother and the rest of my family are cheap or greedy simply because of our religion. I try to be very flexible about this issue and see it from other people's point of view. I like to be able to laugh at myself but hearing a comedian make sweeping comments about race and religion feels so much different from someone close to me saying something like this.

When it comes down to it, I feel like if people were making the joke and it was just me then I wouldn't be so concerned, but then I think about my family in Israel and how hard a time many of them are going through and it just makes me sick to think that they would ever have to hear things like this. Is that so unreasonable?

Archived