Have you tried 'second life' or 'red light centre'? Wot's it like?

treeclimb

I've had a go at trying Red Light Center but I think my PC or graphics card specifically is too powerless. I'm thinking about getting a laptop sometime so might be able to use these programs then.

Obviously virtual relationships are not always totally real but maybe it is a way to practise relationship skills?

What are people's experiences using these programs?

They are social networking type sites but like virtual reality where you walk round in a 3-d world living a virtual life. Second life is more general lifestyle and red-light centre is more sex-focused - however one is in control regarding the extent they engage. Red-light Center charges for the more invovled sex stuff but i think 2nd life might be free - not sure.

I see. Well, I haven't had experience with these sites, but I'd say that involving yourself in them will only further your anxiety about approaching people in real life. Even I have to give myself a reality check every now and then and force myself out into the real world because I get too comfortable in cyberspace. Dealing with people online instead of dealing with them in real life paints a false idea in a person's head about what life is like. It's all a lie.

In Second Life and RLC, it's all too easy to hide behind a computer screen. It's also comprised of a bunch of people who want to wander around in cyberspace and openly talk with anyone there. The real world isn't like that.

When you say that these sites will help you learn how to approach people, I worry that you're going to learn how to approach people the wrong way. In real life, it's not as simple as walking up to a stranger, grabbing her hand, making out with her, and taking her home. You've got to approach real life people in a completely different way in order to be successful in forming relationships.

If you want to play these games for the fun of it, that's fine. I just don't think that you should try and equate them with real life encounters.

Probably a good point. However, I think I'm aware enough that cyber universe is not exactly the same as real life. I kind of like the playful side of it and the opportunity for 'trying new relationship interactions' without the reprecussions of real life and the opportunity to be less inhibited because you're less attached. i realise it's not a substitute for real life, but it still seems to me it might be a way of practising communicating in more creative ways.

How do you know the girl you are having sex with is actually a girl?

If you used webcam and met a hot girl on there, I guess you could essentially make it like avatar and have a blast. That could get pretty hot with a girl.

I don't know the current state of technology, but in 20-30 years, that could be a pretty big hit with the right improvements and enough people that want it.

I definitely like the idea and could use training like that in basic human communications of all types.

Second Life is a crappy social cyber "game." Please don't join it. It's basically a bunch of losers who are "furries" (people who think they are real animals and are into the whole animal costume fetish) going around having fantasy sex. From what I hear it has some bestiality stuff going on. Please don't bring yourself to that level. Please!

Archived