Scared at night

I don't know what is going on, but sometimes I am fine and other

days I don't like even going to the bedroom to sleep. I would rather sleep close to the door in the living room with the tv on lightly and I will eventually

go to shut off the lights but will keep the tv on and then once I am really relaxed, say 4-5am in the morning I will turn off the tv and finally crash but will finally wake up when sun rise and go to the bedroom to sleep.

It has been going on for a while. I live with just me and my boyfriend

but he works at night so I am always alone in our apartment.

If he sleeps with me and leaves me to go to work, and I am already pretty much out, I don't have too many problems. But if I am up and he leaves, I have a hard time sleeping or even shutting off the lights.

I am afraid of the paranormal, I have waken up many times seeing images in

out apartment. Also dreams of intruders, some are silly and kind of far fetch, others seem real. I will force myself to sleep in the room with the lights off but will keep the kitchen stove light on for some comfort, but sometimes that isn't enough and will open the window a crack to hear life outside of my apartment and its actually soothing, but then if its windy, the blinds shake and make all sourts of noise and I will have to shut the door because it freaks me out so then I will turn on the fan....Its never ending....

I don't know what to do and I am afraid of telling my doctor about it.

I wake up from nightmares fearing the very bed I am sleeping in. But I know its not real, it can't be...?

Get this.... I am perfectly fine if my boyfriend is next to me.

I feel like a little kid trapped in a womans body, HELP!! And now I feel like crying because right now I am alone with nobody here but my crazy mind, I think it also may be caffiene induced.

Not sure if it helps, but you are not alone with how you feel.

Apparently my wife is VERY scared/uncomfortable if I'm ever not around over night. This has only happened a couple times, but when it does, she ends up sleeping in our son's room (he's 19 months now), or sleeping in the living room with him.

She said she's not sure if she's more afraid of burglars or ghosts.. but apparently when I'm there I keep both away, and when I'm not .. well .. anything could happen. Unfortunately, she doesn't consider our pet Bunny to offer very much protection.

She is also afraid to go into our basement unless it is very well lit. She won't go down there alone at night, ever.

I am exactly the same, I sleep with a knife under my pillow or wherever I am. If my husband goes away, I sleep on the couch with the TV on, and sometimes I'll turn the light off if I feel brave. I wait till around 4am and then turn the TV off too.. also the sound of life outside soothes me too, because I feel like nothing bad can happen when things are going on outside lol which does'nt make much sense.

I am paranoid about intruders, I made a thread recently but deleted it. I'm like this even when my husband is here, If I hear a slight noise in the living room i'll get my torch and try my best to look around, mainly checking the cupboards for that hidden guy.

Its not bad to be afraid, I'm not really sure how to fix it, but don't be worried about telling your doctor, i'm sure he has heard stranger things and he's there to listen.

I'm afraid of the dark, and at night I also sleep in my bedroom with a light on, the TV on all night, as well as other lights on in other rooms of my condo. Before going to bed, I check under the bed, closets, and make sure all doors are locked.

Anyway, I think you're fine, and being afraid at night when you're alone is normal...IMO.

I'm the same exact way. I can't sleep by myself at all unless I have the tv on and one of my pit bulls next to me. The only way i'm 100% comfortable is when i'm next to my boyfriend at night..

My mind runs wild with thoughts of the paranormal at night..i'm scared of the dark when i'm alone and i'm always thinking the worst in regards to intruders, murderers, etc.

You're not alone and it does seem kind of silly how our imaginations get the best of us but i've gotten used to it.

I have to say, I was a little afraid to come back to this thread and

read everybodys thoughts, but come to find it is more common than not and seems to affect the females more than the males.

Lecturer, you definetly soothed my worry about telling my boyfriend,

your wife is very lucky woman to be with such an understanding man.

I am going to the doctor tomorrow, will be discussing about this and hopefully

he doesn't look at me like I am crazy.

I am the same way. I've always been afraid of the dark and had issues from time to time with sleeping like a "normal" person, because I have very lucid dreams and, like you, am a believer in the paranormal. I also experience hypnogogic hallucinations from time to time, which always leave me uncomfortable and I have been traumatized by them a couple of times. They are simply auditory or visual hallucinations that happen in the state between wakefulness and sleepness--usually you feel a malevolent presence as well. It's more common than people realize, but I think some experience them worse than others.

I have GAD, so I have chalked it up to anxiety being the culprit, but I also think those who are more sensitive to the world around them--usually women--are more inclined to have these experiences and fears. That may sound odd, but rest assured you are not alone. The last few months of living alone, I had to sleep with my lamp on and a movie playing in order to sleep due to one of my "episodes". Anytime I have to sleep alone now, whether on vacation or something, I have to sleep with a light on.

The doctor may be able to help you, perhaps by way of sleeping pills or something. However, it IS a mental thing that may just take time and patience. Best of luck. I know it's frustrating.

I went to the doctor today, he said he doesn't think I am crazy. He said he thinks that I should take counceling and give that a try. He doesn't think a pill will fix it. So, it was pretty nerve racking talking to him about it, because I pretty much can see the look of concern and judgement in his eyes.

I will be seeking counceling as soon as I pay off my 200.00 doctor bill.

Knighttingle, you sound just like me!! OMG, we need to keep eachother company haha. I know what you mean with being half awake and half asleep, this morning, I could of sworn I saw a ghost dancing. And then Slowly faded away.

like a year ago, I had a dream I was in the very bedroom I sleep in today. And this evil lady was swinging me by both of my legs in the air, Freaked me out for quite sometime. I stayed up late those months until finally I figured out it wasn't real and got exhausted with worrying about the lady in my bedroom lol!

not really funny at the time....tho

When I used to earn my living purely as an artist and worked from home, I used to work until about 2.00am. I've mostly found having a rich, vivid imagination to be an really positive thing and the source of wonderful things in my life. However, I don't want a rich, vivid imagination at 2.00am on a moonlit night with a storm, with branches rattling against the windows ... I think you get the picture ...!

There were times when I used to phone the Samaritans, just to say, 'Look, I'm not feeling suicidal, but I do need to talk to someone to calm myself down and feel rational again!' The conversation used to take about five minutes and helped enormously! (Though I did get the distinct impression that the person at the other end of the phone found it amusing!)

See! You're not alone.

You might also try a sleep study. Sometimes these hallucinations and such are due to sleeping disorders. I've been thinking of doing it myself to see if that would help. You may have problems transitioning into REM or something along those lines. I feel as though, when it comes to the paranormal, a counselor may not be able to help much. Unless you were to see one who is a religious counselor of sorts.

I don't know how much a sleep study costs, but I would give it a shot.

Your not the only one thats for sure. Bunch of the girls that work for my parents compnay won't do alot of place by themselfs cause its at nights and there scared, for some its over the top.

I work night shifts about 90% of the time and i get worried to specialy on the weekends and my car is outside, meaning i gotta worry about drunks and other punks. One of are cars got broken into.

get a dog! A big one!

I live out in the boonies. And a lot of times I am out here a lone, and yep, it;s scary. But we have 5 dogs and that definitely makes it so much easier.

If other people are here I have no problem, but all alone, in the dark, walking down our creeky narrow hallway to the way back of the house where my room is, creepy! But I know it;s just in my head and I try to ignore it the best I can.

Archived