Drowning my misery in alcohol...

This is not a 'cry' for help, rather a post to get some feedback about others drinking patterns -- particularly in times of crisis. I have recently split from a short-term relationship (2 months), and it has hit me so hard that I am finding myself relying on booze to get through the lonely nights and endless wondering/analysing about the 'relationship'.

I know this is extremely unhealthy, and I am working on getting it under control before it becomes a dependency.....doesn't help that my ex was an alcoholic (an alcoholic doctor no less) so I've picked up or got some fuel for this bad habit from him. I suppose I'm just curious....how many of you have used alcohol after a painful breakup or other difficult life situation?

Luckily, I have not been there.

My natural instincts are to hide under my covers, reading the internet and watching romantic comedies, and to stuff myself with chocolate and pizza and every fattening food under the sun. Sometimes it will be the reverse, and I won't eat for days, but I generally curl up under my covers with my teddy bear.

I really urge you to throw out all your alcohol now. I know some people who have used alcohol to medicate a break-up and it's been VERY VERY rough and very scary for those around them. Nip it in the bud and say no NOW. Ben and Jerry's, chocolate, exercise, baths, crying your heart out to Celine Dion ... any other coping mechanism would be better than substance abuse.

People do different things. I don't drink to drown my sorrows per se, but I go out drinking to vent frustration. It can be very cathartic. Lately I have been trying to work out at the gym instead.

Working out is a great alternative. I highly recommend it.

Luckily, I have not been there.

My natural instincts are to hide under my covers, reading the internet and watching romantic comedies, and to stuff myself with chocolate and pizza and every fattening food under the sun. Sometimes it will be the reverse, and I won't eat for days, but I generally curl up under my covers with my teddy bear.

I really urge you to throw out all your alcohol now. I know some people who have used alcohol to medicate a break-up and it's been VERY VERY rough and very scary for those around them. Nip it in the bud and say no NOW. Ben and Jerry's, chocolate, exercise, baths, crying your heart out to Celine Dion ... any other coping mechanism would be better than substance abuse.

I would indulge in sweets and chocolate if I could, but I have a medical condition that does not allow me to enjoy sweets/refined sugar without any consequences....thus my turning to alcohol to get through this. I wish I could devour a pint of yummy ice cream or chocolate, but I can't!! At least alcohol gives me a temporary boost of serotonin -- I am fully aware that it is completely temporary and later becomes a depressant.

It may be unhealthy, but it could be a lot worse. You already recognize it's a problem and you are trying to get it under control. So give yourself some credit.

I used to be a notorious binge drinker... I drank for every reason. If I had a good day, I drank to celebrate. If I had a bad day, I drank out of frustration. I drank out of boredom, I drank to forget things, I drank for stress management... You get the idea.

This stopped when I met my girlfriend. I still drink, but not all the time. We've been together four years and when I met her I was single for nine years. She didn't ask me to stop or anything. I just knew that I couldn't keep drinking like this and still have a good relationship with her.

I drank a bit after my divorce, at one point seriously attempting to drink myself to death. Failing that, I swore off the sauce until I was over the heartbreak, and took to walking huge distances until my feet hurt.

I think booze is a crappy substitute for love. If you feel bad, why make starting the day even more horrid?

I'd recommend clarity and health until you're over this misery, then you can let yourself go to seed.

I drank a bit after my divorce, at one point seriously attempting to drink myself to death. Failing that, I swore off the sauce until I was over the heartbreak, and took to walking huge distances until my feet hurt.

I think booze is a crappy substitute for love. If you feel bad, why make starting the day even more horrid?

I'd recommend clarity and health until you're over this misery, then you can let yourself go to seed.

As usual, Dako says it all.

Any other vices, Traveler? A brisk walk at night with my iPod crying my eyes out does it for me sometimes (I'm getting over a break-up too). Something about night and nature and fresh air makes it a great combo for letting those feelings out, but also feels calming.

Long runs help me get anger and sadness out as well.

Potato chips! Fewer calories than alcohol.

Sometimes, just going to sleep. I take 2 Tylenol PM, and sleep without interruption until morning, when things are invariably a little less gray.

How about a friend who can come over and just hug you while you wail?

....how many of you have used alcohol after a painful breakup or other difficult life situation?

No, never.

Drowning your sorrows with alcohol is not helping you in any way, shape or form - indeed it's probably making it ten fold worse as alcohol is a depressant. What you're doing is counter-productive.

A far better solution is to exercise, go to a gym, work out, go jogging etc etc. They are many many other forms of release which will actully be of benefit to you, and not make your situation worse.

Archived