Do people really hate our military?

I'm currently stationed in Virginia and I hate it here, this is my first station and I can't say that I find a single ounce of this city or state to be worthwhile. The locals just hateee the military being here. The cops do everything and anything possible to get us in trouble. The women here are completely scandalous constantly trying to get pregnant to get a paycheck or sleep with sailors to get them to buy stuff for them (or their commissioned sales).

Couple weeks back I was at an aeropostle buying a button up shirt to wear to sunday's evening Mass, and I asked if they had military discounts (as AE, Pacsun, and all the other associated stores did back home) and this lady in her 30's started yelling at me saying how we take their taxes and now want discounts and how we kill and rape innocent people and all kinds of sort. Not wanting to start anything I apologized she felt that way, and she spit on me. I have to stay here for 3 years in this place where people hate and don't want the military and be treated like crap... Is the rest of the world or country like this?

Thank you for serving.

No its not. A lot of people support the troops. You might just be meeting the negative nellies. Or perhaps there have been some bad apples - some other soldiers who have acted like drunken buffoons around town and that just makes them assume all soldiers are like that. I am sorry you have experienced the negativity. However, what is unfortunate is that some folks have learned that its "cool" to be a grouch and to complain about the military and our country - sometimes they forget how good they have it.

Our town is extremely supportive of our local military men. People will put up signs when their boys come home and businesses will congratulate men who've returned from duty by putting up their names in their signs. We have 2 VFW's stationed in our town who do a lot of charity work. The high school will often ask people to volunteer for the VFW. Quite a few of our town's young men join a branch of the military and are always welcomed back. They use their discounts quite regularly too.

The place you describe seems rather horrible. I can't believe people are treating you that way. You guys are either trying to make some money, or are doing it out of patriotism. Nothing wrong with that.

Well, I'm from Canada and I don't hate your military or Canada's military. Even if my personal views on a military action may or may not necessarily agree with the gov't, I have respect for the young men and women in the military. I'm shocked to hear that you've received such lousy treatment from some people in your own country and I'm very sorry that she did that to you. I think that for the most part people support you.

Archived