Confusion about measuring waist?

I have read that for women, the waist is at the narrowest point in the torso, which might be slightly different for every woman. But, i have also read that this point is often located just slightly above the belly button for lots of people.

That's the part that confuses me at times.. because my natural waist is located quite a bit above my belly button. That made me wonder if this is weird lol. I guess i have a naturally higher waist line, but i don't know if that's a common thing? I also consider myself 'pear-shaped', but i don't know if that's related to this as well. Is anyone else's waist a bit higher up as well? I'm not obsessing with my measurement lol, but i've always had that question somewhere in the back of my mind when i've tried to measure. Then i start to doubt if i measured it correctly :S

I googled 'pear-shaped', and i found this illustration, which i think sort of shows how my body is in that area. Her narrowest point looks like it isn't really at her belly button, but quite a bit above.

Any thoughts on this, thanx!

link removed

thanks, i'm still confused though, because i have often read that the waist would be fairly close to the belly button (maybe an inch away), whereas i have mine a lot higher than that from what i see. Does having a longer torso change things?

wow, what an odd question. i've never even noticed it! lol but now i'm curious. ive always thought it was about an inch my belly button? but now that i've really looked the narrowest part is slightly above that too. i think that's because i'm not an hour-glass figure?

I think pear shaped has to do more with hip size than waist placement.

Your natural waist should be just below the rib cage and a bit above the belly button.

True.

My narrowest point is a bit above my belly button.

Can I ask why is it important? I mean narrowest point is narrowest, why care if it is above belly button or not?

Can I ask why is it important? I mean narrowest point is narrowest, why care if it is above belly button or not?

No real reason lol, i'm honestly just curious because i'm working on my weight, and i occasionally want to measure my waist, but i sometimes have doubts about whether i'm doing it the right way, since i've read some things that confused me.

My narrowest point is about 2-3 inches above my belly button.

Often though, waist size now has to do with your width where your pants sit, which is below the belly button, given our current fashions.

I don't think it has anything to do with apple or pear shape. Just a factor of where your belly button is (and whether you have fat right below the rib cage) - which is just a complete artifact and I imagine its placement could vary quite a bit.

No real reason lol, i'm honestly just curious because i'm working on my weight, and i occasionally want to measure my waist, but i sometimes have doubts about whether i'm doing it the right way, since i've read some things that confused me.

Just measure the different parts and get the lowest number. I'm not sure if it is really related to being pear shaped. I know pear shapes that their hips start below their belly button!

Little trick I learned from sewing lessons I took years ago -- when trying to determine measurements for making clothing, tie a piece of string loosely around your mid-section. Go about your business for a while...maybe 15-30 minutes....wherever the string settles is your "natural waist" and you can use that as your waist measurement when purchasing sewing patterns.

And yes, some people are high-waisted, some are low-waisted. I'm relatively low-waisted. I was in freakin' heaven when "low rise" jeans/pants made a comeback because they fit me better than pants with a higher rise measurement.

LOL It's funny to me people have no idea where their waist is anymore.

Your wasit is the narrowest part of your torso at a healthy weight. This means if you are 50 pounds overweight your waist is not higher or lower it's just under a bunch of blubber and much harder to define. Generally it is closer to your ribcage than your hips...but this depends on height as well. I learned this studying costume design b/c making or altering patterns is impossible is you can't find a waist.

Right now my actual waist is about 4 inches above where my pants are sitting (however I'm short so it's probably more like 5-6 inches for average people) the measurement for my actual waist is like 26 inches and the measurement for where my pants are is like 30+. If I went to the store to buy pants I'd buy a US size 2 which Europeans know as a 26. This is a wasit measurment but not the measurement of the waist in the pants. If I bought a 30 they would fall off.

thanks for the replies everyone : )

LOL It's funny to me people have no idea where their waist is anymore.

Well when i look in the mirror i can see where my natural waist line is; my only real confusion was reading that it often happens to sit fairly close to the belly button for ppl, and on my body it's a bit higher up from the belly button. I guess it's different for everyone though.

Your hips just sit a little higher than average. A lot of girls waist start lower than yours. It isnt a good or bad thing, it just is what it is lol.

My hips are at a normal/average place, but i think i might just have a higher waist or a lower belly button as someone else mentioned too. I think that having a long or short torso is related too, maybe. But when i googled it earlier, i found out that it's not too uncommon to have those differences though.

Archived