Car Door: Polite or Outdated?

OntheWire

Well this forum is a non-standard sample since the people drawn here are probably more emotional than average. It's interesting to hear most of the responses to the car door have been positive. But I can't help getting a negative visual of it... I'm jogging over to her side, "Hold on! I'll get that!" and she pauses in slight confusion thinking, "uh...ok". Then I open the door, she sits, I close the door, and I start jogging back around to the other side, the whole time she's thinking "What is this flake doing? We would have left 5 minutes ago if he wasn't stuck in the 19th century..."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well this forum is a non-standard sample since the people drawn here are probably more emotional than average. It's interesting to hear most of the responses to the car door have been positive. But I can't help getting a negative visual of it... I'm jogging over to her side, "Hold on! I'll get that!" and she pauses in slight confusion thinking, "uh...ok". Then I open the door, she sits, I close the door, and I start jogging back around to the other side, the whole time she's thinking "What is this flake doing? We would have left 5 minutes ago if he wasn't stuck in the 19th century..."

I agree and I would hazard a guess that many men who do it are doing it in a showy way ,not to be polite but thinking this will really impress her.

In that case, if I got to the car door first, it'd be a little awkward if he opened it for me while I stood there waiting. If people are going to be riding in my car, and I have to pass by the passenger side first, I'll stop and unlock the passenger side first. It's not a big deal.

Sometimes it is a bit awkward, but you just have to pick up the pace on the way to the car. Walk just a bit faster than her towards the passenger door!!! This will show her that you are on your way there, open the door, she will thank you, close it and go around to your side. It isn't strange. I'm telling you, in a 4 year relationship..........my boyfriend ALWAYS did it. I'm used to it at this point.

I'm not 19th century girl either. I'm strong! But, to me, this simple gesture is so important.

The ONLY men that don't do it for me are JUST FRIENDS.

Archived