Getting my cat tommorow.. Do I have all the essentials?

blitzkrieged

Ok im sorta freaking out now because the lady Im getting the cat from decided to come a week earlier than planned! Shes driving down from NC (north carolina) Im gonna stop by pet supermarket tonight.. i have to make sure i get EVERYTHING I need because my baby will be here tomorrow!

-Litter box

-litter

-scratching post

-some toys

-food

(he will be sleeping in my bed)

anyone wanna contribute? Those are just the basics but I dont want to overlook anything

Food/water trays.

And you might want to invest in some bedding just in case. You might want the cat to sleep in your bed, but in my experience cats have a mind of their own. If he/she takes a liking to a particular room where you live, you'll be able to put some bedding in there.

litterbox scooper

grooming brush

Food and water bowls (I like glass or metal ones- plastic wears out rather easily and can breed bacteria more easily)

You may also want to check around you home to see if anything needs to be cat-proofed (especially looking for plants, cords, & small items that can be swallowed).

link removed

link removed

Put butter on it's paws (just a bit) when he first gets there so that he walks his scent around and knows it's home...

Let him show you when he feels comfortable about going outdoors etc - most cats are quite timid when they first move and may find a spot where they hide out for a few days, but give him lots of assurance and he will get more confident and start walking around and eventually will want to go out...

Arrange for him to be micro-chipped.

Nothing like kitty love - enjoy!

One more thing. Nature's miracle for any accidents or throw up. It really works.

Trust me, you do not want your cat to sleep with you. They are noctornal, meaning they don't sit still at night. Mine drive me nuts. They run around the house and they cry at my door.

I personally would not let a cat outdoors- If they never have a taste of it they won't beg to go out. In my area, cats are always getting mauled by coyotes, hit by cars, in fights with other cats. They are also much more exposed to fleas, ticks, and parasites etc.

I personally would not let a cat outdoors- If they never have a taste of it they won't beg to go out. In my area, cats are always getting mauled by coyotes, hit by cars, in fights with outher cats. They are also much more exposed to fleas, ticks, and parasites etc.

well heres the kicker, hes a hairless cat and cant be outdoors unsupervised, besides the fact that he was not cheap! Also, he isnt fixed yet, hes too small. and i think where i live is crawling with strays.

Food/water trays.

And you might want to invest in some bedding just in case. You might want the cat to sleep in your bed, but in my experience cats have a mind of their own. If he/she takes a liking to a particular room where you live, you'll be able to put some bedding in there.

oh i totally forgot about the food and water bowls! duh.. and i live in a studio so its pretty much with me or the bathroom/kitchen lol

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, you said its a hairless cat, what kind? i know that around xmas ill be adopting a friends cat (cornish rex). some ppl say its a hairless cat but actually its only got its down fur (the shortest) so it's close to the skin and has a wavy look to it, just so cute lol. plus they keep that kitten like playfulness all theyre life. Good luck mate with your new friend.

• 3 weeks later...

Trust me, you do not want your cat to sleep with you. They are noctornal, meaning they don't sit still at night. Mine drive me nuts. They run around the house and they cry at my door.

lol My cat must have missed that memo. He sleeps the entire night with us, He comes into the bedroom around 10. We are usually all asleep by 1030 (cat included). He usually sleeps between my ankles. He will use one of them as a "pillow." If I have to get up he usually stays alseep. if he wakes up he is asleep by the time I get back. So it is "possible" that he will sleep with you. Depends on the cat.

Don't get a bed... he will never use it, trust me.

Good luck.. I love cats

Very True.....

Top 5 places our cat hangs out....

Our Bed (only at bedtime)

The back of the sofa

computer chair

toliet (silly cat likes to sit on it when lid is down. Go figure)

small area rug.

Archived