Condom broke. Terrified.

laboheme

First time having sex with a new guy, and the unimaginable happened. Just my luck. I'm on the pill, but I always doubt how effective it really is. Plus, it was exactly day 14 of my cycle; prime fertility time.

What exactly are the chances of my getting REALLY unlucky? That is, pregnant? I'm freaking out. My period isn't due for another week. I can't take a pregnancy test because they wouldn't work this early on...and I will just be going crazy for the next week or so until I can get some kind of indication. How screwed am I at this point?

Additional (possibly relevant) info:

- It's been two days now, and when I use the restroom, there's some very light brownish spotting on the toilet paper. Not heavy enough to use a pantyliner, but it's definitely there.

- The only time I've experienced spotting before was when I was just starting to have sex (years ago). I attributed that to, you know, typical virgin things. The sex two days ago wasn't particularly rough and not after any kind of dry spell, so I can't imagine that the spotting is due to an internal "injury" of some kind. Plus, there's no pain at all.

- I'm not too concerned about STDs. The guy swore up and down that he was clean, and we're seeing each other again -- if he lied about his STD status, he'd probably want to keep his distance instead of asking me out on yet another date, right? It's the risk of pregnancy that's killing me right now!!!

Take the Plan B pill ASAP. The sooner the better, but you can take it up to three days later.

Honestly, if you're on the pill, I don't think you have any reason to worry. Do you take it at the same time every day? If you take it every day at the same time (to the minute!), you will not get pregnant.

First off, relax. If you have been taking the pill on time EVERY DAY then you should be ok. The more you freak out and stress, the more you delay your period. Stress has an effect on your period.

- It's been two days now, and when I use the restroom, there's some very light brownish spotting on the toilet paper. Not heavy enough to use a pantyliner, but it's definitely there.

- The only time I've experienced spotting before was when I was just starting to have sex (years ago). I attributed that to, you know, typical virgin things. The sex two days ago wasn't particularly rough and not after any kind of dry spell, so I can't imagine that the spotting is due to an internal "injury" of some kind. Plus, there's no pain at all.

Birth control can cause you to spot. This concern should be brought up to your GYN.

BTW what brand of condom were you using?

Take plan B as soon as possible to give you that much more assurance.

Birth control is extremely effective if you take it every day consistently.

If 100 couples were to have sex on a regular basis for one year, only 2 couples would find themselves pregnant if they relied on birth control only.

Take the Plan B pill ASAP. The sooner the better, but you can take it up to three days later.

Didn't even think of that! I've got one day left; I guess I'll do my research and see if the pharmacist will humor me.

Birth control can cause you to spot. This concern should be brought up to your GYN.

I've been on the same pill for about three years now, and it's never been a problem. If this is the case, I wonder why it's only starting now. If this keeps up, I'll be sure to talk to my gyn about it.

BTW what brand of condom were you using?

Durex. And made sure it wasn't expired!

My bf and I use the pill as the only form of birth control and I've never, ever had an issue. As long as you take your pills consitently you shouldn't have anything to worry about. But like above posters said the plan B pill couldn't hurt if you're really worried, though I think it can be a little expensive.

Archived