I can't quit spacing out! I do it a lot at work to the point that people think I smoke marijuana daily; I have never smoked it so if they want to drug test me, I am not scared.

If I am working on something or I can see everything, I can stay focused. But if someone is talking to me about technical things, I space out if all they are doing is talking about it. In a way I feel like there is something "wrong" with me since I need something visual to look at. Yet, on the other hand I feel like I just learn/communicate differently in that focus better when I can see something visually.

I never thought it was an issue until someone I work with made a comment in the department to someone that they were "pulling an Elizabeth" by spacing out. I don't think they knew I was in my cubicle when they said this. It really bothered me. I do not want to be labeled this way.

How do I stop spacing out?

Spacing out is an excellent form of relaxation. If you feel you're productive at work and others see that you are then there is nothing wrong with what you're doing, as long as you get your share of work done every day. I really don't know how to get out of the habit of spacing out so I can't help you with that one. I do it sometimes but I actually like it.

I'm the same. Interesting, I've been called a pothead for it as well. I wouldn't be surprised if I had ADD since my brother is already diagnosed with it. I probably only escaped it because I did well academically despite it.

It sounds partly like ADD, I'm a visual person as well.

Does your mind wander all the time in any situation? Do you forget things or ask the same question like at work when it was asked 10 seconds ago?

I usually notice that it happens when I communicate with people verbally. Come to think of it, I may space out almost all the time and not realize it. I do find myself working on something and if I am not too interested in it, I space out for minutes at a time.

I do not tend to ask the same question every 10 seconds but may ask the same question twice in a day.

I do find that I am productive at work but mostly because I spend little time trying to learn how to do things. Analytical thinking comes naturally to me which may have been why I did so well in school. However, I do have to communicate with shop floor managers and many others to do my job. It affects my job in that I cannot be effective in communication.

Listening is the worst for me, not sure what would exactly help you but I find it when I have enough sleep and drinking enough water throughout the day the mental clarity is definitely there more compared to when I used to rely a lot on coffee (which makes me very hyper).

Archived