Man it feels good to be off Facebook

Johnathan

I recently deactivated my account. I thought I was going to be tempted to get back on. But to my pleasant surprise, actually feels very liberating.

Facebook starts out cool, and then its just a bunch of noise. All it did in the end was make me feel bad about myself. It sometimes gave me an inferiority complex - its not real, FB is actually the most shallow thing ever if you think about it - you only see what people want you to see and thats the 'best possible perspective' - and for someone like me, its also far too easy to be nosey. I had to get off because instead of caring about what i was experiencing in real life, i was indulging way too much in how i was perceived online and how my life 'looked' online - and for what, a bunch of people who I will never talk to and who would never be friends with me in real life? Eventually I thought to myself, 'what the hell am I doing??' Its just not real - and for somebody with such a nack for procrastinating it was lethal.

I have deactivated my account before and been drawn straight back in ... this time though I cant let that happen. It feels great not caring about what stupid updates I'd been missing and realized that if somebody really wanted to contact me (which would be about 2% of the people on my friends list), then they could call or text me...all my true friends do that anyway. I'm not going to lie, it feels like one of the best decisions I've made.

I'm going to be where you are at sooner or later. I had my account for a long time, but I never really logged in, but I recently started getting involved more.

I'm starting to see how shallow it can be with who can post on your wall/who can see your info etc.

It's getting pretty annoying!

If I were to make a guess, I would say that eventually it will go the same way myspace is going right now...

Dude we can only hope...I've been thinking about getting off the facebook crack myself. It is painful esp for just having gotten out of a relationship. And you feel such OBLIGATION to tell people things about yourself...I dont like it at all!

If I were to make a guess, I would say that eventually it will go the same way myspace is going right now...

It will I can only imagine.

One feature I wish it had just like the new Google Buzz is real-time location update through mobile. I could see people using that functionality more often to alert, communicate and use these services to actually benefit from. You really don't get anything out of FB other than reading a glorified version of Twitter. It's filled with garbage just for these marketing companies to make money off of people.

I guess one reason why I love Google products, it's free, it's useful and it's no nonsense even though as they said once, they are trying to take over the world.

I kind of hope it dies to.

I'm such a loser compared to most my friends and that certianly doesn't help the self image.

Also 50%+ of my pictures are when I'm totally trashed. I hardly drink but thats when the cameras are out.

I'm keeping my facebook at least through college...for some reason group members will never email me back but will instantly respond when I send them a message via facebook....

I just don't feel obligated to post anything. And nowadays you have to be SO CAREFUL! I'm friends with my parents, grandma, and current boss. I figure if what I post is alright for them to see, then it's alright for future employers to see if they check my facebook. Most people would never add their parents but I see it as a good thing to keep my facebook "clean".

But yeah, I'm such a loser compared to my friends. I don't allow people to tag me in photos, so there's no pictures of me. I never post anything of importance. I don't do farmville or any of the little games. I do love bumper sticker though!

Anybody I actually want to keep in touch with I see in real life, with a few exceptions.

I could live without facebook if it went way like myspace did. For now it serves my purposes without me getting addicted.

I'm bad enough with this site, I don't need to add to it! Many people have tried telling me how it's great for getting in touch with people you've lost contact with. But I don't see the purpose in that. Everyone I've wished to stay in contact with, I am. Those I haven't, I'm not. I don't need the internet digging up closed chapters in my life. Just another mindless time waster as far as I can tell with a bunch of corporate advertising trying to get you to buy useless junk. I quit watching television a long time ago for that very reason. I have no interest in such things.

I'm kinda mixed about facebook in someways. It's helped me get in touch with people I've lost contact with YEARS ago and now we're back in each others lives again and it's good. It's also good with networking with family & friends.

On the negative side it can get really messy. It kinda reminds me of how unpopular I was in college or high school. Everyone from high school or college adds you even if they didn't know you that well and now facebook is like one big click or class reunion. People only want to talk to the ones who were popular.People start posting pics of old high school parties and the things that went on, knowing that you were never really apart of it and now you feel left out. I'm grown now and I don't have time for all of that nonsense.

People put too much information in their status messages it's ridiculous. People talking about others.. If your in a relationship it can get messy. You're constantly looking at your so's profile to see who they are talking to on their walls and you're wondering why your so is friends with their ex on facebook etc etc. That's the part I don't like and it gets messy.

Not everyone utilizes facebook in the manner described here. I know I don't. I use it to keep up with long distance relatives I'd never see or hear from if not for FB and also friends that are also too far away to see a lot. I have never used it to create some fake lifestyle making my life look more fun or important than it is. That is more for young kids under 21. Anyone over 21 doing that - well let's just say it sounds like a maturity issue.

There is nothing on my FB page that would hurt me should a current or potential employer see it either. I don't put into print anything anywhere that I would be ashamed of falling into the wrong hands. IF people would adopt that attitude they wouldn't have to fear sites like FB or Myspace. I have seen the pages from some young people and am totally shocked how they don't understand this could fall into the wrong hands. I have a former coworker on my page as well who is at least 30 and all she does is whine EVERYDAY in her status about how F'd up her life is or adding some ambiguous or grouchy status about her on again off again b/f, she has no idea how this makes her look - and this is a person who has added half the people in from that company to her friendlist. She doesn't even know ME that well and added me, and for what? For us to look at that crap? She has destroyed any sense of professionalism she could have had. I went into my settings recently and just blocked her view, what a downer.

Everyone from high school or college adds you even if they didn't know you that well and now facebook is like one big click or class reunion. People only want to talk to the ones who were popular.People start posting pics of old high school parties and the things that went on, knowing that you were never really apart of it and now you feel left out. I'm grown now and I don't have time for all of that nonsense.

I do not have ANY old college or highschool friends in my friendlist unless they were very close friends. I had no need to keep up with casual acquaintences from way back then all these years sure don't need to now either. If I want to see what the former Highschool Quarterback is up to these days I'll open my backdoor and ask him to stop cutting my grass for a minute and ask him what he is up to other than being my hired help...lol

One thing I find funny in conversations about FB is how many people say they need FB to keep in touch with friends and family who live far away.

This isn't actually true. There is the ability to email, send photos, and talk on the phone with people who live far away. This is what we all did prior to FB.

Granted, it might be a bit more convenient through FB, but FB is not something anyone actually needs.

I find myself wondering if it will ever go away. Most things tend to have a life cycle to them, especially in the realm of technology. So it does seem likely that FB will too. Its hard to imagine what will replace it though. FB basically became a better version of MySpace.

I think for many people, FB is a way to boost their own ego- they put up all the best pictures of themselves, show how many friends they have, etc. I think this is one reason it is so popular- most people are more concerned with themselves than they would ever dare to admit. FB taps into that. It also taps into the reality that more and more people are spending more and more time in front of a screen. It makes sense that we want to find ways to "socialize" while we are on our computers, PDAs, etc. FB is a mechanism for that- giving people a feeling of being "connected" to others while actually being alone in front a screen.

At an orientation meeting at my D19's college, one of the teachers said that she makes people turn their cell phones off - or lose it if it goes off. She says that she tells them, why, yes they CAN survive for 60 minutes without being in constant contact with the outside world, lol.

I know that I never said it was the ONLY way but it is by far the EASIEST way and I surely won't make apology for enjoying something with ease of use. I like opening up the page and scanning the status's from everyone at once. I don't really want to send separate emails to people. I don't really have a lot to say that would take up an entire email. I like seeing their photos and announcements and its handy dandy all there in one place. I do not care to talk on the phone either with all of these distant relatives but I do care about them, and these people are not close enough to where I am going to text them, so unless you have a better suggestion or site I have not heard of, then YES facebook IS the superior method for me to keep up with my relatives. I have a huge extended family that lives all over the country. No way in heck am I sending them emails or chatting on the phone with them. I just like seeing their status's and pictures.

And no, that isn't what we all did prior to FB. Before FB I rarely ever saw these people but still often wondered if they were ok and what they were doing, but honestly not intensely enough to sit around chatting with them in emails or phone and surely not texts. I save those avenues of communication for my closer friends. Of course FB is a far more convenient method to do this than the other options you listed, so I'm not sure what real value add your post had in that regard unless you wanted to intentionally make a jab at people who actually DO use it to be able to keep in touch with those they otherwise wouldn't...

I don't see where anyone on this thread said that FB is something they NEED. It is a convenience that some of us know how to not abuse or use for a popularity contest. Even those using it for a popularity contest can recognize it isn't something they 'need' but rather something they want to do.

G-Snap- it seems like you took my comments personally. They weren't directed at you, they were general observations.

I don't have an opinion as to whether any individual person should or shouldn't use FB, honestly.

You really don't get anything out of FB other than reading a glorified version of Twitter. It's filled with garbage just for these marketing companies to make money off of people.

Just another mindless time waster as far as I can tell with a bunch of corporate advertising trying to get you to buy useless junk..

So true! that is most definitely another annoying thing about it.

G-snap, I do see your point about how its better for keeping in touch with relatives than just a plain old email. I'm not one of those people right now. But maybe someday I'll get back on and delete 90% of my friends list and only use it for family. I'd be down with that. It would be far less annoying.

But knowing me, I'd get back on and end up using the site to find an old flame from my past to hook up with again. I've done that a few times already, and then what do you know, I'm back on FB in full swing and using it like a drug. Lol!

So true! that is most definitely another annoying thing about it.

G-snap, I do see your point about how its better for keeping in touch with relatives than just a plain old email. I'm not one of those people right now. But maybe someday I'll get back on and delete 90% of my friends list and only use it for family. I'd be down with that. It would be far less annoying.

But knowing me, I'd get back on and end up using the site to find an old flame from my past to hook up with again. I've done that a few times already, and then what do you know, I'm back on FB in full swing and using it like a drug. Lol!

I guess that's the thing, I don't have any desire at all to check ex's on FB, never even tried. For those who might have that temptation I can see how it can be a real pain in the rear and end up being extremely dysfunctional.

Archived