Smear Tests

Having a smear test will it detect anything wrong on the surface (outside wall) of the cervix as well as whats happening inside?????!!...

Have been reading about cysts on cervix, so i was wondering will a smear test detect something, and will the nurse see if there is anything wrong looking on the cervix when she is doing the test?!

Last question; If you get the all clear.. this clearly means that all is OK BOTH inside as well as on the outside of the cervix. Right or wrong???

FYI... this just a question and nonthing more!

What do you mean exactly with outside? I don't think a cervix smear will reveal problems like ovarian cysts for instance.

I meant will a smear test only revel problems inside cervix or will a smear test also revel problems on the outside of the cervix area (opening of the cervix) ?

just wondering how cysts are detected on the cervix?!!!! and if by a smear/pap, test!!!

Oh, I thought you meant cervix as 'outside' relative to the uterus

Well, this is an image of a papsmear procedure:

image removed

It takes cells from inside the cervix. The speculum is to open up the way towards the cervix. It's uncomfortable, but it doesn't hurt, as long as you relax.

Oh, I thought you meant cervix as 'outside' relative to the uterus

Well, this is an image of a papsmear procedure:

image removed

It takes cells from inside the cervix. The speculum is to open up the way towards the cervix. It's uncomfortable, but it doesn't hurt, as long as you relax.

But would a smear test revel if there is somethiing wrong on the opening wall of the cervix aswell? ie.. cysts!! or cancer!!

Archived