Why does it feel like I always have to make all the effort?

Max123

Aside from a maybe half a dozen of my close friends from high school, it seems like I always have to go out of my way to try to keep friendships afloat.

I'm already a junior in college but nearly every friendship has fizzled out and turned into the "Happy Birthday!" and "What are you taking next quarter?" on Facebook. Every once in a while I try to spark something up again, but that never lasts. It seems like they never initiate. I always have to do so.

Maybe it's because I have to commute to campus everyday, I don't know. Even with the one or two friends I still keep in touch with from college, it seems like I always have to initiate everything. Am I doing something wrong?

Aside from a maybe half a dozen of my close friends from high school, it seems like I always have to go out of my way to try to keep friendships afloat.

I'm already a junior in college but nearly every friendship has fizzled out and turned into the "Happy Birthday!" and "What are you taking next quarter?" on Facebook. Every once in a while I try to spark something up again, but that never lasts. It seems like they never initiate. I always have to do so.

Maybe it's because I have to commute to campus everyday, I don't know. Even with the one or two friends I still keep in touch with from college, it seems like I always have to initiate everything. Am I doing something wrong?

You'll notice as you are now that as you get older in life people change. People change & priorities change as well. I have very few friends as it is but for the ones that I do, we only talk but so often every month. Although I sometimes wish it weren't that way, it's inevitable. Life comes along and tends to get in the way of that.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I've been on this forum since 2006. I am starting to believe that we on here are just more sensitive souls than the norm.

It can be quite frustrating and lonely at times. Just hang in there and know you are young and have a whole life ahead of you to forge quality friendships!

You'll notice as you are now that as you get older in life people change. People change & priorities change as well. I have very few friends as it is but for the ones that I do, we only talk but so often every month. Although I sometimes wish it weren't that way, it's inevitable. Life comes along and tends to get in the way of that.

It just feels like other people have way more close friends. I mean I love the friends I do have. But sometimes it'd be nice to be able to really interact with others. I wish I didn't have to put all the effort into it. It's easy enough chatting with people in class everyday, but nothing ever comes of it.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I've been on this forum since 2006. I am starting to believe that we on here are just more sensitive souls than the norm.

It can be quite frustrating and lonely at times. Just hang in there and know you are young and have a whole life ahead of you to forge quality friendships!

I hope so. I've only made one really close friend in my 2 years of college... but I'd rather have these close lifelong type friendships.

Archived