do herbal cleanses actually work?

And if so, can anyone recommend a good one?

I'm interested because I take tylenol PM every night, drink lots of caffeine, and until recently I drank alcohol on a weekly basis. I just feel like I need to get rid of some of the toxins in my body, but I don't want to waste my money.

So...input?

Dandelion root and milk thistle (they come in pill form) are a mild detoxer that can be taken with little to no side affects.

Don't expect to take it and feel suddenly different. They simply encourage bile production, that's all. And the more bile produced the more toxins can be flushed out in it.

No they don't. If you want toxins out of your body, then you need to stop putting them in.

This.

Most cleanses are complete scam or do little. Colon cleansers are the worst, you've seen them in commercials, people swear by so-called energy boosting and getting toxins out of your system.

Eating dietary fibers and taking in more water throughout the day will help you to keep your system cleaner in a long run.

By drinking too much caffeine, you're pushing quite a bit of water out of your system. The dietary fiber, water and pushing more nutrients into your blood and body overall puts less stress especially your liver and kidney.

Are you taking Tylenol PM to sleep better? If it's possible I would gradually cut back on the caffeine and increase water intake as well as consume more complex foods with dietary fibers. You'll probably see a huge difference within a week.

I don't have any experience with herbal cleanses, but if you look up 'cleansing foods' or 'detoxifying foods', you could probably find lots of good information. I think that incorporating some of those foods into your diet could be helpful in general. Lemon juice is supposed to be a good natural detoxifying food (you could mix a little bit in with herbal teas for example); ginger root and garlic are also said to be good.

I don't have any experience with herbal cleanses, but if you look up 'cleansing foods' or 'detoxifying foods', you could probably find lots of good information. I think that incorporating some of those foods into your diet could be helpful in general. Lemon juice is supposed to be a good natural detoxifying food (you could mix a little bit in with herbal teas for example); ginger root and garlic are also said to be good.

Yes, many foods are natural detoxers. Garlic really is wonderful for so many things. Heard good things about lemon juice as well. It's always a good practice to introduce healthy foods into our diets.

As for nicknick, most herbal medications are derived from the very ingredients in our foods that are rich in detoxins, anitoxidants, etc so it's nothing that is going to hurt you and there is some benefit. As for homeopathy in general, I wouldn't substitute good nutrition or prescribed meds for genuine illness, so the whole gammet in general I don't subscribe to either. But some herbal treatments have value. Dandelion root and milk thistle for instance have been shown to naturally increase bile production, thus you do get rid of more toxins by taking those agents that assist.

It's all about using commonsense IMO.

I would recommend cutting back on the Tylenol. Its not good for your liver. If you need a sleeping aid, there are now a number of medications that are effective that don't have tylenol in them.

Yeah, I've tried just regular sleeping pills but it's something about the Tylenol that helps me actually fall asleep. I've cut out the alcohol by about 75% and since I started working different hours I've been able to cut back on caffeine more...but the Tylenol PM is one of those things I just don't foresee being able to stop using.

Thanks everyone for your input...from the sound of it my best option is to give a lot more consideration to the beneficial things I'm putting into my body, and I definitely need to increase the amount of water I'm drinking. Hopefully if I do all that it will help.

Yeah, I've tried just regular sleeping pills but it's something about the Tylenol that helps me actually fall asleep. .

Do you mean prescription or over the counter?

You are fairly young to need a sleep aid on a regular basis. Have you ever been assessed by a doctor to see what is causing your sleep problems?

Tylenol and alcohol are also not a good combination - link removed

Any product marketing the term "cleanse" or "detox" is garbage or a scam, or both.

Fasting and fad things like all-water/liquid diets are quite harmful to your body, particularly your metabolism. You will lose a few pounds up front and feel strangely good the first couple days, but that is from your body entering starvation mode and pumping endorphins to overcome the hunger and give you the ability to find food (thanks to evolution). Your metabolism will slow to a crawl. Once you start eating again, your body will horde the fuel as fat for the next time you inflict a fast upon yourself again.

Your body has the means of "cleansing" itself, via kidneys and liver. Just eat healthy, drink lots of water, and refrain from things that require your blood to be cleaned such as alcohol and drugs.

I advise you to do some research of articles on these topics from actual medical doctors, researchers and scientists, and you can make your own decisions.

Do you mean prescription or over the counter?

You are fairly young to need a sleep aid on a regular basis. Have you ever been assessed by a doctor to see what is causing your sleep problems?

Tylenol and alcohol are also not a good combination - link removed

I know what's causing my sleep problems (anxiety), but my insurance doesn't cover the type of doctor you see for anxiety.

I've noticed that since I have cut way back on my caffeine, I feel much better. I don't feel as sluggish and I actually sleep a little better, not much as I have had sleeping problems for many years but I have noticed a small gradual change.

I know what's causing my sleep problems (anxiety), but my insurance doesn't cover the type of doctor you see for anxiety.

If you have anxiety, then you should be drinking decaf and keeping caffeine out of your diet. Alcohol temporarily masks feelings of anxiety.

I can recommend a great book for anxiety - it is extremely thorough and considered to be one of the most comprehensive self-help books for anxiety that is out there- you could buy a used copy from link removed or amazon or possibly get it at your local library (where I live, if the library doesn't own a copy of a book, they will purchase it if someone requests it, so that might be something to look into as well).

link removed

Archived