Different clothing for different groups of friends?

odysseus77

I guess I'll start by giving a little background information. Basically, I grew up in a working lower-class family. Therefore, my neighborhood and friends from home are similarly blue-collar lower/middle class people. However, I was one of only two (in my group of 8 or so friends) that went to college. Now, when I'm at school, I dress nicely, and follow basic fashion rules (layering for example). I suppose we could call it GQ. However, at home I tend to dress in a manner more congruent with what others are wearing (tims and a hoodie or if you're going out an Affliction shirt or the most dressed up would be a basic dress shirt).

However, the other day one of my friends from home was having a birthday party right after I got back from a date with a girl. So, I was dressed in my college style (navy blue v-neck sweater over a light blue dress shirt with the collar and cuffs showing, black dress shoes, and dress jeans) rather than my home style. Needless to say, I was ridiculed practically all night long. My friends were saying stuff like "Wow you're dressed really gay." Or while he was on the phone with his girlfriend (i'm giving fake names here) "I'm here with jimmy, ricky, tom, who's dressed like a fag, alex..." I was getting that literally all night long. I mean, I expected that it wouldn't be extremely popular, but the amount of negativity that I got was was more than even I expected. Its just crazy/interesting to me because not only does no one at college blink twice to this type of dressing, its almost the opposite amongst my college friends/college girls because if you don't dress in this manner on a semi-regular basis then people will say you dress like a scrub all the time.

I guess my question is, do you feel like (or even subconsciously) you have to dress differently around different groups of friends? Has anyone else noticed or experienced this phenomenon? How do you handle it? Do you continue to dress differently around the different groups? Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated!

i would dress the way i wanted to dress, then if they made fun of me, i'd just make fun back, as in saying 'yeah, you're just jealous becuase you could never look this good...'

i think their ribbing is based on an overidentification with clothing and the role it plays. perhaps they are very threatened that they are losing you to a differrent level of society, one they can't fit into because of the lifestyle they choose to lead (i.e., not going to college etc.).

I think it is smart to dress appropriately based on the situation (i.e., not wear a hoodie to a formal wedding), but other than that, do what you like and if they start making fun of you, just shrug it off or turn it back on them... they'll either quit, or if they're too threatened by the change in you, stop associating with you. Their choice.

No, I have never experienced this with my friends and I have friends from all walks of live. Some that were born into money, some with new money, some middle class, some lower class, and I dress the same around all my friends. I don't see a need to change myself or my style just because I am around particular people. As for your friend teasing you, it could either be that they just don't like that type of style or are jealous.

Either way don't let it bother you, wear what you are comfortable in and what you think suits you and the occasion. If others don't like it, tough luck for them. Your real friends wont say anything bad regardless of what you wear.

Yeah, I can see myself dressing to fit in with certain crowds.

Its funny you mention this because last weekend I went out to dinner with some friends and I dressed up with my dress boots, a nice pair of jeans, dress shirt, dress jacket, makeup, hair done up nice, etc. And everyone else was going in hoodies and sweatpants. This also happened one time when my bf took me to visit his friends at a house party, i got done up nice and got there and people are just chillin out in their sweatpants and t shirts totally relaxed. I felt a little outta place. lol

At the same time there are some clubs I just wont go to because the girls that go there dress in super short skirts or shorts and tube tops and I just can't bring myself to dress like that, especially in the middle of winter so its not my style.

yes i do dress slightly differently around different groups of friends. i know what is 'acceptable' or will fit in better when im around different people. recently ive started to dress nicer over all though and i havent had any bad reactions so far.

you probably just need new friends.

Sure, I dress according to where I'm going. No office outfits to my local dive bar on a Saturday. No suits to work on 'dress down' Fridays. No hoodies to a communion.

It's not a big deal to switch up clothes. I feel that it's respectful to my hometown folks to join them in my townie clothes rather than differentiate myself. Sure, I guess I 'could' show up in a trendy outfit, but it would feel a bit too attention-seeky for me, and not necessary.

Archived