sensitive tooth after root canal

I had a root canal done on one of my lower front teeth about 8 months ago. There was no cavity, the dentist just said the tooth was dead so a root canal was done. It doesn't hurt, but it's still sensitive. Shouldn't it be the opposite since she took out the nerve?

Some days it's more sensitive than others (today is one of the more sensitive days). Just wondering if this is normal.

I have recently had a root canal on a back molar and got a crown fitted. Front tooth root canals are usually the easiest to perform and most successful. However, you have to wait a year to see whether a root canal procedure has been successful. There is only about a 65% success rate in the UK.

1) Bad Bite - If you do experience pain after root canal treatment and you are unable to clench your teeth together because it hurts too much, visit your dentist as soon as possible. Simply reducing the tooth so that you don't hit it breaks this pain/inflammation cycle and can produce immediate, seemingly miraculous results.

2) Further Infection - Taking antibiotics after a root canal treatment could be necessary. If the infection that was inside your tooth has spread at all to the bone around the apex, then antibiotics will help you heal.

3) Temperature Sensitivity - If a tooth that has had root canal treatment has pain that is aggravated by cold temperatures, this is completely different. This type of hurt comes from inside the tooth. It indicates that there is still living tissue in your tooth. It could be that there is an extra canal in the tooth that wasn't visible to the dentist. Go back to your dentist and have her do tests and x-rays to try to determine the source of the problem.

4) Delayed Root Canal Pain - If your tooth heals and feels normal and then later begins to hurt, it probably indicates a failed root canal, and re-treatment or root canal surgery may be required to save the tooth. This doesn't happen too often. And sometimes, nothing seems to work and a tooth needs to be extracted.

Maybe try a sensitivity tooth paste. I have some sensitive teeth. I am not talking about actual pain but more sensitivity to cold and sugary things. If you have real pain then I would go back to the dentist. I had a failed root canal, where the tip of the root remained and it was more or less permentantly irritated or infected on and off for 15 years but I did manage to keep that tooth another 15 years. Luckily I never felt it when it was perma infected all the time.

You should have really had an x-ray at your 6 month check-up to see how the tooth was doing anyway. Did your dentist do that for you?

No, because I don't have insurance anymore. =/

I think it might be because of my bite like you said. My top teeth and my bottom teeth hit each other so I can't close my mouth all the way. The dentist already drilled my bottom teeth to make them smaller and that made me better for awhile, but I think my top teeth moved and now it's the same again.

No, because I don't have insurance anymore. =/

I think it might be because of my bite like you said. My top teeth and my bottom teeth hit each other so I can't close my mouth all the way. The dentist already drilled my bottom teeth to make them smaller and that made me better for awhile, but I think my top teeth moved and now it's the same again.

Ah! Well, I'm not sure about your insurance.... Being in England and having the NHS.

What can you afford to do?

Ah! Well, I'm not sure about your insurance.... Being in England and having the NHS.

What can you afford to do?

I'm not sure. Someone sent me a PM about some free dental clinics around here so I think I'll check that out.

Archived