xShannyx

I can finally admit to myself that I have an internet addiction. I'm online pratically 24/7 but I leave ever few hours then come back and this has been going on for maybe 2 years. At first, I chatted 24/7 but now I don't chat as much and logging onto msn has become a habit of mine even though I'm not chatting most of the time. Problem is I don't have anybody to hang out with and I only leave home to go to the store, gym, or school so I'm stuck. Hopefully I'll start volunteering in a hospital soon, but at the end of the day I'll be back infront of my laptop like always. This just makes my depression even worse so I really need to stop. Does anybody know how can I slowly wean myself off the net?

All help is apperciated

Why aren't you at school? Do you have a job?

Probably the best way to get off the net is to find a job, or at the very least make a point of phycially getting out of the house and DO something constructive with your life. You mention volunteering soon - why not start NOW?

Sitting at home all day will never wean you off the internet. You HAVE TO make an effort to get out the house. I can only suggest going back to school or finding a job and/or volunteering somewhere.

Internet can be addictive but on the bright side it's not as detrimental as other addictions out there. I would assume you're hooked on the net because you really have nothing better to do, or at least that's how it started. I think your ticket to success in beating this is find enjoyable things to do and people to hang out with outside of your home. Try new things and keep busy. The first little while it may be difficult but after some time you'll wean yourself out of it, hopefully. If that doesn't help, maybe you need some outside help to help you with that habit. But I got to tell you, I'm on the internet all the time also, but fortunately for me I enjoy doing other things more so most of my days are spent out, however when I'm home I'm always on the net and every time I walk by the computer I sometimes can't help but stop and just check the net for random things. I don't consider myself addicted to the internet though and don't think it's a bad thing.

Why aren't you at school? Do you have a job?

Probably the best way to get off the net is to find a job, or at the very least make a point of phycially getting out of the house and DO something constructive with your life. You mention volunteering soon - why not start NOW?

Sitting at home all day will never wean you off the internet. You HAVE TO make an effort to get out the house. I can only suggest going back to school or finding a job and/or volunteering somewhere.

lol read it again hon, I do go to school..as for volunteering I have an interview next week for that. And as for a job I'm not 18 yet and every time I give my mom working papers she loses them so I give up on that until I turn 18.

Hey it's 1:30am here in Australia, I have an English draft due tomorrow and I'm lurking around on here. I would say I'm addicted too

But seriously, the a probable reason why you are addicted is because you have nothing better to do and are easily distracted (that fits me to a tee). But my advice to you is a social life won't gift itself to you, just get out there and make it! Even if it is just a bunch of guys at a LAN party if that's what you're into (that's not me but some internet guys are). The way I see myself is that if I had ANYTHING better to do that was fun, then I would do it. Only problem is, school work doesn't come into the "fun" category- even though English is my favourite subject.

Most obsessions stem from mental issues such as anxiety, depression, OCD... There's really nothing you can do except see a doctor. When I had major anxiety issues years ago I too couldn't get off the internet... the same with a friend of mine. We both got treated for our anxiety and now the internet is just whatever to us again... I'd guess anxiety has a lot to do with your addiction/obsession... that's one of the tell tale signs of it...

Archived