how long does it take?

Arabella314

I was just wondering how long before it takes to get pregnant and how will you know? I know it's if your period is late, but mine is irregular so I can't go by that. Morning sickness..my mom didn't get that, so might be a chance I wont. So when should I start worrying & taking tests? I looked online..I get different answers.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worrying makes your period more irregular. Usually missing a period is a sign. I would actually try to track your period and you might find you are more regular than you think or there is regularity in irregularity. It might not happen on the exact day every month but may be the same or similar number of days.

The most common sign is a missed period and usually quick to follow is extremely tender breasts and sometimes noticeably bigger too, lol. Morning sickness, on average, usually comes in a little later, after 8-10 weeks or so.

ETA; I just saw the post below mentioning cravings, lol. I never had any cravings at all in any of my pregnancies, lol.

OP: Every woman will have a different answer.

Are you worried about an unwanted pregnancy or are you trying to get pregnant? If worried, the only 100% sure way to not get pregnant is abstinence...if you are irregular in your menstrual cycle and trying to make sure you are not pregnant, the Dollar store (here in Canada anyway) sells pregnancy tests...you may have to "pee" on a lot of sticks ...if you are trying to get pregnant, a bit of a different story...you should be making sure you are taking the proper vitamins long before hand, eating right and doing the right things for a healthy pregnancy...as for signs you are, everyone is very different so that would explain the different answers you are getting online...just pay attention to yourself, and any changes you notice...when I was pregnant, within days I was craving pineapple lol...you just never know what it will change for you...

no, i'm not trying to get pregnant, but we didn't use protection & he didn't pull out. As far as my last period...maybe a little over a month ago. Sometimes I get it every month for a while, then I won't get it for 2-4 months. That's why I wouldn't be able to tell if I'm late. But I guess I'll have to go to the dollar stores in about a month & pray it's negative

no, i'm not trying to get pregnant, but we didn't use protection & he didn't pull out. As far as my last period...maybe a little over a month ago. Sometimes I get it every month for a while, then I won't get it for 2-4 months. That's why I wouldn't be able to tell if I'm late. But I guess I'll have to go to the dollar stores in about a month & pray it's negative

"Pulling out" you can still get pregnant hon. Sorry to break the news to you.

"Pulling out" you can still get pregnant hon. Sorry to break the news to you.

I know that. It happened that way already once with my ex..at least I think it did, I was scared to tell my parents, but I described what it looked like to my friend. She said I sounded about 3 wks pregnant. I had no idea I was if I was, so yea I screwed up this time big. but I gotta face my responsibilities if I am

If it's been a month since your last period I would test now...the new tests are very sensitive, it's not like years ago when you had to wait...and yes, condoms are an excellent purchase as well, not only are they 98% effective in preventing pregnancy (but not 100%!) but they are also helpful in preventing the spread of disease...I have a close friend, as a teen she dated a guy for 4 years, she was a virgin when they met, he had had limited sexual experience, yet his experience had exposed him to an STD, which he passed on to my friend...25 years later, this woman has suffered and still suffers the results of a poor decision as a teen...she could not get pregnant, ended up doing expensive treatments before she could have kids, and has suffered debilitating pain her entire adult life...so please be careful!!

A week should not be too soon, sperm live only a certain amount of time, female sperm longer, but I believe by a week you either are or you won't be, and I think that today's tests can measure the hormones that early...however, waiting another week couldn't hurt, as long as you are not driving yourself too crazy with the wondering...I would check online to be sure about how early you can test...

Thx for the info. First time was Sunday then again on Tuesday. Since yesterday I've been really hungry & last night I noticed my breasts were sore, but that always happens about a week or two b4 I get my period. So I'll just wait about 2 weeks to see if it comes..if not I'll get a test.

If you've done this twice it sounds like you are trying to get pregnant, whether you admit that or not.

A few facts:

sperm can live in your body for up to 5-7 days.

once you ovulate the egg dies 12-24 hours after that if not fertilized.

Once conception occurs (in the fallopian tube) another 7-10 days is needed for the fertilized egg to travel down to the uterus and implant itself into the uterine lining, and then the hormone Hcg begins releasing to sustain the pregnancy until about 12 weeks when the placenta takes over.

After implantation it typically takes a 3-5 more days for the level of Hcg to rise and be detectable in urine, giving you a positive pregnancy test.

So. if you give yourself about 2-2.5 weeks after your last unprotected encounter and test, you should get an accurate result.

And if you really, honestly, do not want to be pregnant, than take some precautions that actually work- not withdrawal. (and hopefully you have both been tested for STI's after a minimum of 6 months of exclusivity).

I must admit if it is negative, I will be a little disappointed, I kind of still do want his baby and when we were teens I went through "I want a baby" phase so we were trying. But honestly I don't think I'm ready, at least not financially, I'm not working & he's struggling to support his 2 kids & her other 4, can't go to my parents cause they'll say u are an adult & u had the baby..handle your biz, and welfare is NOT a option cause my dad said he'd disown me if I ever got on it. I think I might be getting my period, but I heard it's still possible to get your period & be pregnant, so I should just take a test anyway.

I must admit if it is negative, I will be a little disappointed, I kind of still do want his baby and when we were teens I went through "I want a baby" phase so we were trying. But honestly I don't think I'm ready, at least not financially, I'm not working & he's struggling to support his 2 kids & her other 4, can't go to my parents cause they'll say u are an adult & u had the baby..handle your biz, and welfare is NOT a option cause my dad said he'd disown me if I ever got on it. I think I might be getting my period, but I heard it's still possible to get your period & be pregnant, so I should just take a test anyway.

I have to admit now I am a little confused. So this guy already has 2 kids and is supporting someone else's children also? Who is this other person? Is he married?

Either way, this does NOT sound like a good situation to bring another person into.

I know the idea of having someone else's baby is romantic and all but the harsh reality of having a baby, especially one that you can't afford is really not romantic at all.

Picture this, you are getting up with a screaming baby every 2 hours all night long, are totally exhausted, changing diapers and feeding, your nerves are frayed you are sleep starved, hormonal, mind numbingly exhausted. The house work is piling up and you have no idea how you are going to make your rent this month. You haven't showered in a week and you are still wearing the same nightgown from 5 days ago which is covered with spit up and poo and breastmilk since you leak constantly. But it's OK because you have no clean clothes because you haven't done laundry. You haven't left the house in almost a month because the thought of showering, dressing, packing up your baby, the diaper bag, the stroller, the carrier, and lugging it all out in the 28 degree weather is too overwhelming to consider. You have no bread or milk, and have been eating ramen noodles for the last 2 days.

Your baby has colic, so he screams pretty much from 3pm-10 pm every day anyway. You walk and rock him constantly, but nothing helps. You've called the pediatrician and they tell you that you just have to ride it out as long as he's gaining weight and wetting diapers, and he is. Which, BTW, you are almost out of diapers too, but can't really afford any more.

And THEN, your baby gets sick. Up every 2 hours seems like a dream, because now he is up ALL night and ALL day, screaming and screaming and screaming. You're driving this screaming kiddo to the doctor's, to the pharmacy (where you have to wait 20 minutes amongst others watching you unable to handle or soothe your screaming baby) and then home to try and get the medicine down his throat all the while spilling it on him, on you, not getting it in, and in the meantime he vomits on you and poops everywhere....and that's the best case scenario. Worst case you are sent over to the hospital for xrays, blood work, they are sticking an IV needle in your screaming infant's hand while you watch in exhausted tears.

and where is your partner in all this? could be working 80 hours a week to try and pay the rent, or could be loooooong gone.

Your friends have long since flown the coop too, at least the ones who don't have children and once the novelty of a cute baby wears off they really have nothing in common with you anymore.

You call your mom but she is either busy with her own life and work or although sympathetic, wishes you good luck and goes back to her game or tv show or out to lunch with friends. And you are totally alone- with your screaming baby.

That, my friend, is the true reality of having a baby.

So please, don't romanticize this. I know you can't understand what it's like to have a baby until you do which is the saddest part of all because by then the baby and you are stuck with each other and it's too late- but while you have a choice, protect yourself.

Trust me, I love my daughter more than anything and I have a very supportive husband and a home, steady income, all of it. But it is the hardest thing I have ever done. I haven't slept through the night in almost a year. Just start there.

Wait until you are married/settled, having a good savings, a supportive partner in a long term relationship, an education under your belt, and are really ready to give your life up to this little person who is going to take over and change everything. And even when you meet all that criteria, you will still be blown away by how hard it is and how much it tests every fiber of your being.

Hope this helps.

Yea he has 2 girls. One with his ex & one with his girl who he lives with. He's not married. He won't marry her. He called her a old lady when he came to my house, but now he moved back up there cause her sister got stabbed up & died, so the money he had for the house here, they have to use for the funeral.

Wow..u painted a very nice picture. It scared the crap out of me lol. I know how hard it is. In my perfect world..he'd leave her, though I hate rap music...his songs would blow up on the radio & he'd be rich & my mom would get off my back about finding a guy with money so I can have anything I want and live the life I'm used too. Out of all my friends..I think I'm the only one who doesn't have a baby yet, and I've seen how it can be. Especially one of my best friends daughter. That little girl would make anyone not wanna have a kid lol

Well..I think I was ovulating this week..I noticed it Monday, but didn't really think about it until yesterday & I checked online, I read that it's the easiest time to get pregnant & we had sex Sunday & Tuesday. I'm like "ahhh crap."](*,)

Yea he has 2 girls. One with his ex & one with his girl who he lives with. He's not married. He won't marry her. He called her a old lady when he came to my house, but now he moved back up there cause her sister got stabbed up & died, so the money he had for the house here, they have to use for the funeral.

Wow..u painted a very nice picture. It scared the crap out of me lol. I know how hard it is. In my perfect world..he'd leave her, though I hate rap music...his songs would blow up on the radio & he'd be rich & my mom would get off my back about finding a guy with money so I can have anything I want and live the life I'm used too. Out of all my friends..I think I'm the only one who doesn't have a baby yet, and I've seen how it can be. Especially one of my best friends daughter. That little girl would make anyone not wanna have a kid lol

Well..I think I was ovulating this week..I noticed it Monday, but didn't really think about it until yesterday & I checked online, I read that it's the easiest time to get pregnant & we had sex Sunday & Tuesday. I'm like "ahhh crap."](*,)

This is even worse, you are sleeping with a man who is with someone else. Sure, he's telling you that's why he lives with the mother of his child but you can rest assured he's telling her something totally different.

So 2 kids with 2 different women, still with the second woman and having unprotected sex with a third.... honey, what are you thinking????

Seriously, this man is not even dating material let alone relationship material and father material.

I really hope you are not pregnant.

How old are you? Are you living on your own? Supporting yourself? If so, how?

I'll be 21 in 2 weeks. I live my my mom, and my dad is still working in NY, but comes down every 3-4 months for vacations. I'm not working..in my last yr of college.

As for sleeping with him when he's involved with someone else..I know it's not a excuse, but I'm in love with him, have been for years even before she came into the picture. He's a good dad though. He's struggling now, but he supports both of them.

Hope,

I wish I could rep you a billion times for this. There was never a truer word spoke about having kids, and that is just the first few months.......lol Anyone who wants a child should read this every single day till this sinks in. Sadly, one can know until they actually have a baby. At least they should be as secure as they can in every capacity before they do have one, it sure makes it easier.

I'll be 21 in 2 weeks. I live my my mom, and my dad is still working in NY, but comes down every 3-4 months for vacations. I'm not working..in my last yr of college.

As for sleeping with him when he's involved with someone else..I know it's not a excuse, but I'm in love with him, have been for years even before she came into the picture. He's a good dad though. He's struggling now, but he supports both of them.

Arabella,

He's not a good dad if he is lying to his child's mother and cheating on her, and putting her health at risk by having unprotected sex with other women while he is with her.

You can love someone and know that they are not good for you and choose not to allow yourself to be used by them, right?

He has 2 children with two women, one of whom he left and the other whom he is cheating on with you. Let's say you do end up pregnant by him, the 3rd woman... do you really think it will be any different? Or will he continue his known pattern and move onto the next woman and impregnate her?

I hope you can take off your rose colored glasses and see him for who he really is, a cheater who leaves women and children in his wake and takes irresponsible risks everywhere he goes.

This is really sad, and I feel bad for you. At 20 maybe you just don't have enough experience to know better, but I hope now you will open your eyes and do what is right for you.

I know you're right. I guess part of me is still living in fantasy land and because he was my first, and we've been together this long that one day he'd just stop throwing hints & just admit that we're more than friends with benefits, but knowing my luck if I am..I'll text him to call me & when I tell him he'd say ''u know what i'm going through, I can't have another kid now" I would seriously go up there & beat his a$$ personally if he played me out like that.

Then my mom..oh boy...I'd hear about how irresponsible we both are & he would hear it from her too. My dad..I don't even wanna think about that.

Guess I have alot to think about. Thanks

Dont they make test you can take soon after your missed period?

I could be wrong. Ive never taken one (ive never had any reason to im still a virgin)

Yea, they do, but I'm in between periods, so I have to wait to see if it comes.

I'm thinking about texting him later that there's a possibility I might be pregnant. It might sound selfish because that'll bring him more stress, but I don't think it's fair I should have to go through this ''scare'' on my own.

Yea, they do, but I'm in between periods, so I have to wait to see if it comes.

I'm thinking about texting him later that there's a possibility I might be pregnant. It might sound selfish because that'll bring him more stress, but I don't think it's fair I should have to go through this ''scare'' on my own.

I assume he knows there is a risk that you could be pregnant because he had unprotected sex with you.

However, I would actually stop contacting this guy altogether. If you actually end up late, and are pregnant, than by all means contact him and let him know. I think your texting him now is just an attempt to bait him and get some more attention from him- and why? He's a snake and you know that. He's using you (and admitted to it when he said you were FWB and he was with someone else). As long as you let him, he will continue to use you. You aren't going to get what you want from this guy, he's already proven that to you. It's time to wash your hands of him.

But honestly the best thing for you is to cut this guy out of your life for now (and for good if you aren't pregnant.)

And, I hope you will get tested for STI's since this guy has had unprotected sex with at least 3 women and probably more.

Good luck!

Archived