Can antidepressants help me with my social problems

I have really bad social problems..talking is like a punishment to me and it's runing my life. I have no idea how to become more outgoing since I've always been like this. I don't have any friends to encourage me to be more outgoing and I havent had any for some years now. Is there anything I can do to help this? Will my medication help at all?? I don't want to be lonely anymore..it makes me more depressed

I would think anxiety medication like Celexa or Lexapro would be better for your social issues.

I take Lexapro and it has helped me a lot. I don't get as riled up as before or as worried as before.

I already take prozac, but I might have to switch medication since it gave me a rash..not sure.

I think the medication will only serve to relieve the anxiety (nervousness, sweating, increased breathing, etc.) but not necessarily help your social issues. To fix that aspect, you will have to change your way of thinking and expose yourself to social situations until you can cope with them appropriately.

I have lost my ability to function normally in social situations and I have finally decided to start doing something about it. I bought a book off Amazon that helps with social anxiety disorder but I've only read the first 3 chapters which generally discuss the symptoms and causes for social anxiety. I am just now getting into the part of the book that teaches you how to set goals and accomplish them with regards to handling yourself in social situations. If you can get your hands on a self-help book, it would be a great place to start.

If it's putting burden on your personal life, it may be best to start from talking to a professional counselor that could understand your problems in depth and help you to guide in a better direction.

It could involve medication but I personally believe social anxiety and various behavior issues can be changed by taking different approach to life rather than covering it up with medication. Long term, medication will have other side effects and you may end up taking additional medication just to counteract such problem.

How nervous do you get around people? Do you get nervous just being in public? Are there people that you feel comfortable talking to?

If it's putting burden on your personal life, it may be best to start from talking to a professional counselor that could understand your problems in depth and help you to guide in a better direction.

It could involve medication but I personally believe social anxiety and various behavior issues can be changed by taking different approach to life rather than covering it up with medication. Long term, medication will have other side effects and you may end up taking additional medication just to counteract such problem.

How nervous do you get around people? Do you get nervous just being in public? Are there people that you feel comfortable talking to?

I'm already seeing a therapist but mostly because of my depression. Im nervous speaking to people in general. I'm even shy around family members. And when I'm about to do a presentation in class I get so nervous til the point where it's hard for me to breath and I feel very sick

I'm already seeing a therapist but mostly because of my depression. Im nervous speaking to people in general. I'm even shy around family members. And when I'm about to do a presentation in class I get so nervous til the point where it's hard for me to breath and I feel very sick

I'm very much older than you now, but I was the same when I was your age. I remember having to photocopy the text for the presentation I was about to give, and hand it out to the other students. Watching them underlining bits, notes in margins etc nearly destroyed me ... horrendous stuff. I used to self-harm. If you're already seeing a therapist then it will get better with time.

For now, make sure you keep breathing deeply and evenly - that will alleviate some of the anxiety. Sit very firmly in a chair and make sure you have both feet very solidly on the ground; feel how the ground supports you, and hold on to that feeling.

Also it would be a good idea to find some positive affirmations on the web or, better, make up your own. It is impossible to hold two thoughts at once, and when you find yourself getting into the negative spiral, keep repeating the affirmations inside your head. Even if you don't believe them, the effect on your unconscious mind will be very powerful if you keep on doing it.

You are in a very painful, vulnerable place at the moment, and I do sympathise. The only thing I can say is that it will get better, and because you've already been through the fire, in later life you will find you are much stronger than most people - and much more able to be empathetic and compassionate.

(((HUGS)))

How were you like when you were growing up? Were you just raised to be more reserved? Or do you think it's your natural trait?

What about people say younger children? How do you feel talking to them? Are you still shy?

How were you like when you were growing up? Were you just raised to be more reserved? Or do you think it's your natural trait?

What about people say younger children? How do you feel talking to them? Are you still shy?

When I was really little I used to be very bossy to other children but my mom literally beat the sense into me. She also preferred(and still does) staying indoors instead of taking me out and she rarely let me have company when I wanted because "the house is too dirty".

As for children I still feel a little shy around them :S Silly but I do

It could be that your childhood and growing up may reversed your outgoing (and somewhat bossy trait) personality. In a way I can relate, loudest kid in the class and people today probably would've never guessed.

I asked about smaller children as they say it helps to gain confidence talking to people you are generally comfortable talking to and anyone you would feel less threatened or don't feel like you're being constantly judged even though you're not. Small talks and small steps I'm sure will help you aside from applying other helpful ways to improve your confidence in social situations.

Archived