Update on speech development

Alezia

I've been focusing a lot on Luka's speech development over the past few months. My son has a lot of words including colors, animals, shapes, opposites (hot vs. cold) etc... which is good but he still doesn't combine words!

At my 24 month appointment, I told the doctor that he did not combine words which is one of the "watch out" factors. She said that since he was raised in a bilingual environment that she will give him another 6 months, but we would need to send him to a speech pathologist if he doesn't improve in that area until then. Oh, and to buy flash cards.... not sure how that is going to help his lack of combining words.

I don't really get it. He can say "more" and he can say "milk", but why can't he say "more milk?". He will use either one or the other to express his desire and he fully can say/understand both of these concepts.

Anyone have any tips or tricks in that area? I am aware that children will start combining words when they have 50+ words. He's well over that amount now as stated above, and he seems to understand concepts... what gives?

this is what i do with bear. when he decides he wants something, lets say he wants more milk, if he just says more or milk, then i'll say the other word.

bear: milk

me: you want more milk?

bear nods yes

me: more

bear: more

me: milk

bear: milk

me: more... milk...

bear

its a slow process sometimes and sometimes he doesnt want to play word games with me, he just wants it now but usually we do all right.

he doesnt combine a lot of words, but he has mastered "cookie please" because everyone thinks its so cute they give him one.

i really wouldnt worry so much, i agree with needing more time being bilingual, and if he has tons of words, and can express himself, he's not so far behind at all. i really think he is just spekaing at a slightly slower pace than what the books suggest. but i think he's fine. bear's doctor tells me he is advanced in his speech so i dont want to compare the two there. however, if you ARE really worried, maybe you can arrange for a session or evaluation with a speeche therapist, not sure what canada has but the US also has early intervention program that you can go to if you think your child is behind and they'll provide an evaluation and stuff too

He is no longer in a bilingual environment though.. he used to be, but not anymore. He's been out of it for more than 6 months now.

I'll try hassling for him to repeat more I guess Yeah he didn't meet the milestone for the early intervention program of combining 2 words by age of 2... but since he didnt fit the autistic profile, the Dr said to wait a bit.

my friend's daughter was a late talker. at 2, she had a vocabulary of maybe 20 words and most of them you couldn't understand unless you were with her every day. she didnt combine anything either. she just turned 3 in nov and is completely on level with her peers now. around 2 1/2 her vocabulary just exploded and she easily caught up. if he's not showing autisic traits then he really just might be a late talker. *hugs* hope it all goes well for you

Archived