Job References - previous employer question

wish4me

I've been applying for several job openings this week within the medical field.

I left my previous company late last year after getting burnt out.

Each application I fill out it asks to list my previous supervisor. I'm worried since i know he was VERY bitter after I left that he will have a negative impact on my application. I checked with my HR person (a friend) and she told me that they have me in the system as "voluntary resignation and re-hirable".

Thoughts?

Certainly list your prior information as requested.

Even though their may be bitterness between you and your past supervisor if he is contacted he should keep it professional and related to your job only. If he doesn't he opens himself up to serious ramifications. My guess if your previous employer has an HR department its a fairly large company. He has probably been trained on how to handle this situation and even more likely any references would come directly from the HR department as they have your personal file along with any evaluations and what not.

My best advice is to not go into an interview and gripe about a former boss. I've conducted a fair share of interviews and the minute someone starts complaining about how much they disliked their old job or boss they go into the do not hire pile. My feeling is that if they disliked someone so much they are probably going to dislike me as well.

If asked about your prior work or supervisor discuss the things you did like and come up with a well rounded statement as to why you left the job. You can state things like you felt you had gone as far as you could in the current job, you were looking to gain different skills related to your field, etc.

Good luck in your job search! I know its a tough market out there right now.

ya good advice about not griping at all about your former employers in an interview- huge no no (not to say you were going to do that, just a good word of advice regardless)

it's important that you list every prior work experience on an application regardless of how good or bad it was or your reasons for leaving. if your most recent supervisor was bitter about your resignation but you are officially in the system as a "voluntary resignation and re-hireable" then it means you remain in good standing with that company. maybe another way to assure a smooth means of communication between potential employers and that job would be to find someone else you worked with there to serve as a reference and put in a good word for you if need be.

Archived