Neighbors have annoying dogs that bark constantly

spearntime

We just moved into a new house and everything was fine, until we realized that our neighbors are completely inconsiderate.

I am def. a dog lover and animal lover, but this is ridiculous.

Their fence is RIGHT by the baby's room and not too far from my room. They GATE IN their three huge, loud, barking dogs close to our bedrooms. They purposely put them by our bedrooms to keep the dogs AWAY from their bedrooms.

Our baby is jolted awake EVERY NAP time by these dogs over and over. I bought a "white noise" maker and although it is loud, it isn't doing the trick. They are just too loud. My son complained of the noise at night as well, and can't sleep at night. My husband works graves and needs to sleep during the day as well, and can't sleep bc of the barking.

Those poor dogs are never walked, never let out...all THREE are couped up in an area about 4 ft by 3 ft. And the area around them STINKS.

I am very annoyed. This family seems nice ( they have a baby and two little ones), but I have had it. It's been over a month and it isn't getting any better. I don't want to just move in and rock the boat in the neighborhood, but I've had enough.

Any suggestions??

Thank you!!

There are usually noise laws, and they are probably violating them if their dogs are incessantly barking.

I'd try your county animal control agency first, and ask them what laws there are about dogs constantly barking. the animal control officer usually talks to them first, and if they don't correct the situation, they will get fined or the dogs eventually removed form them.

It might also be considered animal cruelty to keep 3 large dogs in a 4x3 area, so it might be well worth reporting them.

You could try talking to them first, but my experience with people who are that inconsiderate to their own dogs and neighbors, won't listen unless they are forced to.

You can request that the animal control agency keep the tip anonymous if you don't want bad blood. they can suspect you reported them, but probably can't prove it. i'd talk to the animal control people about what their disclosure laws are before filing a formal complaint.

If I were you I would, depending how comfortable you feel, either talk about it with them in person or write a short, polite note explaining that the barking is keeping your baby up.

If they don't respond to that, call your town's animal control and ask what your town's regulations are as far as barking dogs. Most towns have strict rules in place for this. For example in my town (and I also live in a SoCal beach town) if a dog is barking for more than 5 minutes out of every hour, it is considered a noise nuisance. They will be given a warning, and eventually a ticket.

If your neighbors don't respond to your polite conversation or note, I would print out a copy of your town's regulations and give them a copy.

If that fails, you will have to start calling animal control. Sorry, I know this sucks!

Im in the same situation. We don't have kids but Im expecting. We've had the dogs over to play with our dog in our yard thinking they'd calm down once they got to know us, but 7 months later, it's the same. They don't stop. We've talked to the neighbor and she said she'd "work on it" but I really don't see how. Im not going to involve the law, because those dogs are her life and I would never ask her to get rid of them. Sooooo, we're in the process of looking at other places to live. It's going to be a giant pain. But we nead a little peace for baby as I know you do for your family. I hope things work out for you. Worst case, if you had to break your lease, Im sure your landlord would understand. I really hope it doesn't come to that though.

Whatever you do, don't take the matter into your own hands. Let the Animal Control and/or the Police handle it. I had a dog once that apparently barked all day while I was at work. She never made a peep while I was home though, so I wasn't aware of it. No one informed me of this, they just thought if would be appropriate to poison my dog and she suffered a horrible and excruciating death as a result. If you ever think about this option, don't. It's truly evil.

I had the same problem a few years ago and had to move out of my house. It practically drove me crazy!

What i did do before i moved was:

-Make a complaint to the local council, documented the barking, and the local council sent a letter to the neighbours. The barking improved somewhat, but not significant enough for me to stay.

I would start by approaching the neighbours first.. If this fails, try the local council (there should be by-laws about noise)...

The way to solve your husband's problem is EAR PLUGS... They saved my life. Even now, i have some barking dogs next door and ear plugs allow me to get the 6-8 hours sleep per day that i need. Ear plugs don't solve the overall problem though.

I hate to say it, but you may have to move. I hope you did not buy the house... Big lesson for me will be looking over fence and doing some spy work before i buy / move into my next place.

You know, dogs are easy... they bark when they feel threatened, abandoned, locked out of their house etc.

All that needs to fix this is for them to let the dogs stay in the house, and only let them out to do their business. Most endlessly barking dogs are upset because they are outside separated from their owners, and where they feel threatened by people going by them outside all the time.

And if someone doesn't want their dogs in the house all the time, then they shouldn't have dogs, period. Dogs are pack animals that need to be in their own space with the rest of their 'pack', and why have them if they're outside all the time.

I really don't have sympathy for people who do this to their dogs OR their neighbors. If you can't treat the dogs well, then don't get them, or find them a good home, or get a small dog that easily fits in the house and paper train it if you have to leave it in the house for a long time.

Wow...

I wouldn't poison them. I think that could affect the neighbor's kids too. Plus, they could just get new dogs anyway.

I think involving the laws would be a good idea, although I know they would know it was me, and I really don't want to make enemies. I'm thinking I may talk to the previous owners first, and see what they think

Then I'll mention it to the neighbors...

Sigh

Not what I needed after a move....and stress...

Most local laws prohibit excessive noise at any given time, I would call the police. If the owner is not responsible enough to take care of the dog properly and train the dog to not bark for no reason, it needs to be dealt with. It should not inconvenience other people no matter what time of day it is. Worst case scenario the dog can be taken away.

Are you the only neighbor or are there houses surrounding the area? Personally if it was just your house and theirs, you could talk to them but if not, I'd call the police to make a complaint. Do document all the incidents to backup your stories if the situation doesn't get better.

Around here dog barking is not tolerated. We are huge animal lovers in this state and any excessive barking always gets taken care of fearing an animal is left out, abused, etc. I know it varies with each location but really, each owner needs to be responsible!

Move?

If it was me, and I had exhausted every other option including trying to reason with the neighbors and contacting authorities, and my only option was to MOVE AWAY, I'd give those dogs an antifreeze treat mixed with ground beef.

No way would I let my life be affected to such a great degree by the ignorance and inconsideration of others.

It's not the dogs fault they are barking.....the ignorant owners are to blame. Good to know that you would just kill a dog for doing what dogs do.

Archived