Has anyone of you had disturbed sleeping paterns after the break up?

any serious changes with your sleep time or so, and for how long did it last, or is it still there and you are trying to fix it?

Immediately following the break up I was often exhausted because I couldn't fall asleep and even when I did it was never restful. I used to dream about him a lot and the feelings of things being out of control while I was awake followed me into my dreams.

I have started taking gravol at night every once in a while just to ensure that I will get some nights where I sleep straight through.

Yeah my sleep pattern defintely changed. I would stay up to about 1-2 in the morning, then I would wake up like at 6am. It was weird cause I have never done that before.

But like kitty said, the sleep I got as well was never restful. This went on for about 4 months, then it started getting easier.

I started going to bed EARLY after the breakup. I used to be up til 12am-1am every night working on my personal business stuff. After the breakup I couldn't do it anymore. It was party because I was emotionally exhausted from thinking about the breakup every second of every day, but partially having to think about what my ex maybe doing with someone else at those times. It sounds crazy, but it happened. I would go to bed at 9:30-10PM and sleep until I only had time to get up, take a quick shower and leave for work.

I'd say this lasted for about 4-5 months. It's starting to normalize now that I'm not so emotionally exhausted, but I still don't like staying up late on nights I know she is free.

Four months since the break up and I am dreaming of the ex about every 3 or 4 days which is a MASSIVE improvement! I still don't get to sleep till very late but this is still good compared to the first couple of months after the break up when I was barely sleeping and dreaming of him EVERY single night! I think it is reflecting the healing process for me; it is taking a long time but it is getting easier, just very slowly.

Kitty, how long ago did you break up and how many hours a night do u sleep with and without gravol?

The break up was 3 months ago. If I go to bed at a time where I expect to get about 6 -7 hours of sleep, I will usually wake up after 5 or 6 and then fall back asleep but feel tired when the alarm goes off because the sleep was interupted. Usually if I don't take the gravol, I will wake up at least once before the alarm goes off. If I take the gravol I will usually be woken up by the alarm. I had to take it one night last week because something had happened regarding the ex that had upset me and I only slept about 4 hours that night. So the next night I took the gravol and ended up sleeping straight through the night (8 - 9 hours)

Yeah my sleep pattern defintely changed. I would stay up to about 1-2 in the morning, then I would wake up like at 6am. It was weird cause I have never done that before.

But like kitty said, the sleep I got as well was never restful. This went on for about 4 months, then it started getting easier.

I experienced the same thing in not wanting to go to bed because I was too anxious. So I stayed up too late, didn't sleep well and not enough.

The dreams were hard. At least when I was awake I could control what I was thinking but the dreams would be crazy and upsetting sometimes and I felt agitated in the mornings.

Did not have disturbed sleep immediately but there was an event about 3 months later where my ex started contacting colleagues that caused me to have problems sleeping. This resulted in me being awake all night with anxiety, maybe slept one night in a week but only for a few hours. Was awake for the better part of a month before I ended up going to the doctor who prescribed beta-blockers but these had no effect really. Was on them for about 3 months but decided they were not helping so stopped taking them.

Kind of got better on its own but even over a year later I still have sleep problems and will stay awake one night a week and think about the ex and the breakup.

I was dumped 3 weeks ago, and frankly I sleep.... surprisingly well. I've always been a heavy sleeper.

Usually in bed at 2am, and up at the crack of noon. That's mostly because I'm unemployed though.

Lately though, I've been dreading going to sleep because of my frequent dreams of the ex. Happens almost every other night.

I couldn't take sleeping alone so I had to sleep at my parents' room (depressing, I know). I would find myself crying when I wake up even though most of the time I don't remember my dreams. I dreamt of him for the first three weeks straight. And... I didn't want to sleep because I didn't want to dream about him, but I also wanted to sleep because it was the only time I can't feel the pain in my heart.

i haven't been able to get a good night's sleep for about a month now. i've tried everything to help me sleep, even sleeping pills, drink til i would pass out, or so i thought i would pass out, counting sheep, i've tried so many things. the most sleep i've gotten this past month was about 4 hours. sighs

i just hope it goes away. sighs

Archived