Dates car...

lana111

I dont want to judge a book by it's cover, but I'm gonna.

Met a guy from online. Nice and normal. Yadda yadda. The thing is, as I was driving away I saw the car he owns. Its a very expensive car in a very loud color.

When I saw it I was just like... .

Im not an attention getter and Im really not into a guy that is. I know he is probably into cars and such, but this was really disappointing. Do you think it has a lot to say about his personality in that he loves attention and/or likes to show off?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what kind of car was it?

story for you:

I own a 2007 yellow chevy aveo hatchback. yes, yellow. it's a loud color. friends joke that you can see it from space. it's been dubbed "the highlighter" or "the short bus". i think it's hideously ugly and get embarrassed about it, especially when i was trying to date. well, i met a guy offline once and we went to a busy restaurant. by the end of the night, after a really great date, we realized the restaurant was closing and we were the only 2 people left. we decided to call it a night and part ways. we walked to the parking lot and i saw my 2007 chevy aveo hatchback (yellow!!!) sitting in a spot I hadn't parked it. I commented that was weird and he said "no, that's my car." so of all the cars for this guy to own, he owned the EXACT same yellow ugly car that I own. clearly, it wouldn't work out. I'm not a snob or anything, but I hate the way my car looks as it is. i don't know why it bothered me so much that he drove the same car, but i just coulnd't do it.

so this guy may not be showing off. he could just have a loud color.

He might just like cars!

Isn't in a way better that he drove something like that, than a beat up old truck thats barely road worthy?!

We all judge, so dont worry! i once dated a guy who drove a VW polo that he bought brand new. i couldn't help but think, "why" as a guy, you bought a car thats typically a chicks car!

how was he on the rest of the date?!

I REALLY dont care about the kind of a car the guys drive, but I wouldnt like the crappy car either bc that is a, bad, attention getter too hahah.

The date went well. I see no problems with him other than his profession (which I dont want to mention but it's just me stereotyping him) and that he at times in texts calls me hun or babe and I dont even know him like that. I dont like it but he isnt going overboard so thats okay.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge.

I work for a man with a yellow racing Porsche - talk about flashy! But he's just really into cars, and races for fun on the week-ends. I would say he's very down to earth and really nice, and all around a high quality man.

I think it's a shame he can't have whatever car without running into a stereotype. I wouldn't want a man to judge me on my purse, so I say cut him a break for the car, and try to decide how you feel about him based on everything else.

Are you finding excuses not to like him? The car has nothing to do with the quality of how the date should go. You have your own anyway, so it's not like you have to ride in it if you don't want to. With so many other things to worry and wonder about a person, I would think that the car they drive would be the least of your worries.

His car may or may not be a reflection on his personality. The only way to know is to get to know him better. I wouldn't think of it one way or the other at this point. If you're interested in him, spend some time.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I am the least car-person or flashy-stuff person you'll probably ever meet. BUT, it can still be fun getting to know someone who has a little different tastes than ones own.

And hell who knows, maybe he is a really great guy AND you'd get a kick out of a ride in that car. lol. Bigger things have surprised in life.

I'd ask him to pop the hood and drool, but that's me.

A car can be a status symbol, but it can also be a lot of fun for the driver. I know my dream car is considered flashy, I don't care about what people think, I just want horsepower, a sweet gear box and engineering that is awesome.

Don't judge him by his car. Get to know him.

I dont want to judge a book by it's cover, but I'm gonna.

Met a guy from online. Nice and normal. Yadda yadda. The thing is, as I was driving away I saw the car he owns. Its a very expensive car in a very loud color.

When I saw it I was just like... .

Im not an attention getter and Im really not into a guy that is. I know he is probably into cars and such, but this was really disappointing. Do you think it has a lot to say about his personality in that he loves attention and/or likes to show off?

I think it has way more to say about your personality than his.

ahhh the old you are what you drive Imean it veries yes it could show who he is and it can not be. I know if most guys out there had the money i would say that at least 4/5 men out ther would get some kinda car thats flashy.

Also people can judge on what makes someone flashy. Someone might think chrome rims on a plain everyday car is flashy others think on a sports car and so forth.

I say give it sometime and maybe if all goes well you'll like the feeling of getting looks when your in his flashy car

Funny when i got my dodge charger then later on put the chrome rims my mom drove it for a day..

Me: "hows my car ?"

mom: "its nice, little low, lot of people are looking at it...i do like the fact that i'm getting looks"

There are nice cars, and then there are ones that are just ostentatious looking. I don't like to make judgments about others either, but sometimes you just can't help it. Glad you gave the guy a chance though.

Now I'm really curious as to what exactly it is that your date drove.

There are nice cars, and then there are ones that are just ostentatious looking. I don't like to make judgments about others either, but sometimes you just can't help it. Glad you gave the guy a chance though.

Now I'm really curious as to what exactly it is that your date drove.

Same here I'm woundering if its Benz fairly new or a honda all decked out

I think this is so funny! Is that really why you didn't date him? I mean, you have the same car.

It's not the full reason I didn't date him but it was part of it. A big reason why I didn't date him was that when we were saying goodbye, he mentioned how tired he'll be tomorrow at his tournament (it was 2am by the time the date ended). I asked what tournament and he said a Dungeons and Dragons tournament. That pretty much sealed the deal for me, as I became instantly unattracted to him at that revalation but the car was some of it...

Archived