Decision making..logic vs emotions vs intuition..

top bloke

I am wonder what do you believe is the best way to make decisions?

I am an emotional person who believes in going with my feelings and intuition to make a decision. Logic does not always feel like the best way to solve situations or get benefit from them. I sometimes feel that I invest too much in some decisions to find it wont work many times.

When you make a decision do you allow your feelings for a person or situation skew your view and hence you make mistakes? What is the best way to handle decisions whether personal business etc?

Very interesting topic and one that speaks to my heart lately. I think the best approach would be intuition which I consider a combination of logic and emotion. If intuition is completely blured maybe it's an idea to see your reaction/feelings when considering either choice of reason and passion respectively.

I read a great book called "Good People Make Tough Choices" that I recommend very highly. It is a pretty easy read and it talks about different approaches to answering difficult questions. For instance, it talks about three classical ways of making decisions (in no particular order)-- essentially (1) deciding what is in your self-interest; (2) doing what is best according to rules/laws; and (3) doing what you would want others to do if you would be impacted by their decisions. The book stresses that there is no right answer, and no one method to use all of the time, and that the toughest decisions are the ones where there is no right answer ("right vs. right", as opposed to "right vs. wrong").

I'm definitely a logic person. Except for when I'm in love, then my track record has a tendency to throw logic out the window. ...

Lol. I was the same once and then forced myself to see sense and let logic take over. My heart is way way waaaay too soft and people take advantage, so I had to learn to be ruthless (logical), lol. Not easy.

There is a logic to emotions, it's just a bit more challenging to identify the underlying reasons/ logic thereof. Before making difficult decisions I try to be brutally honest with myself where my emotions/ fears are coming from. The next important thing that I consider is the long term impact versus the short term escape from fears/pain. This approach has served me well in every difficult situation that I have faced so far and in the long term I have never regretted a decision although short term it was very hard to do and sometimes the pain involved was substantial.

This ability has not necessarily always resulted in the "rational" versus the "emotional" choice, but enabled me often as well to be much more understanding about other people's choices and be much more patient about the decisions and behavioral choices that others make.

Lol. I was the same once and then forced myself to see sense and let logic take over. My heart is way way waaaay too soft and people take advantage, so I had to learn to be ruthless (logical), lol. Not easy.

Yeah, next time (if) I'm definitely gonna be more intelligent about it. I've lived and learned the hard way.

There is logic and there is cynicism. Care also needs to be taken for wounded feelings to not cloud your judgement.

Of course. There's the Yin and the Yang. The pendelum can't get stuck on either side if one is to maintain a healthy emotional state. It's about balance.

I can be really tough when it comes to certain situations and totally overrule what my heart tells me, lol. I guess I'm more the logical type when it comes to big things. This is the same for both personal and business.
Capricorn thank you. I am exactly the same way sometimes. My heart wants to believe one thing and logic tells me what my emotions dont want to hear lol. It causes internal conflict. Perhaps it is best to read and heed the signs as we venture in so that we can avoid problems

Capricorn thank you. I am exactly the same way sometimes. My heart wants to believe one thing and logic tells me what my emotions dont want to hear lol. It causes internal conflict. Perhaps it is best to read and heed the signs as we venture in so that we can avoid problems

Amen to that!!!

Very interesting topic and one that speaks to my heart lately. I think the best approach would be intuition which I consider a combination of logic and emotion. If intuition is completely blured maybe it's an idea to see your reaction/feelings when considering either choice of reason and passion respectively.

I understand what you mean. Rely on your feelings of a situation and if it feel a certain way then you dont have to commit to a situation that feels dangerous hopeless or futile. True...thank you

I am wonder what do you believe is the best way to make decisions?

I am an emotional person who believes in going with my feelings and intuition to make a decision. Logic does not always feel like the best way to solve situations or get benefit from them. I sometimes feel that I invest too much in some decisions to find it wont work many times.

When you make a decision do you allow your feelings for a person or situation skew your view and hence you make mistakes? What is the best way to handle decisions whether personal business etc?

Every decision is different based on the circumstances. So weigh your options and see what's available before you make a move. Know everything that's available to you before you flip the switch and try to be reasonable. That's how I roll.

I read a great book called "Good People Make Tough Choices" that I recommend very highly. It is a pretty easy read and it talks about different approaches to answering difficult questions. For instance, it talks about three classical ways of making decisions (in no particular order)-- essentially (1) deciding what is in your self-interest; (2) doing what is best according to rules/laws; and (3) doing what you would want others to do if you would be impacted by their decisions. The book stresses that there is no right answer, and no one method to use all of the time, and that the toughest decisions are the ones where there is no right answer ("right vs. right", as opposed to "right vs. wrong").

Sounds like interesting reading...i will have a read. I suppose sometimes we rationalise what is right even though it is wrong bad for us...for example a heroin addict.. A other example is when some people break no contact . They know its no good but feel it will help some way. Emotion takes over what is right... If we could write down what the reality of a situation is and did not allow our emotions to control us then we would not be in a second best or compromised decision ... we have to start being more diplomatic with ourselves..more honest..

I believe logic is aimless without feeling and feeling is blind without logic. They are not mutually exclusive, and are best used when each is weighing in on the other.

I think we need more self awareness and awareness of what is happening around us so we are more in tune with reality and the moment

I'm definitely a logic person. Except for when I'm in love, then my track record has a tendency to throw logic out the window. Gotta work on that...

I've done both. Married my EH based on logic (he was a good guy, good looking, good to me, everyone liked him, supportive, etc, etc.). I ignored my heart that was BEGGING for passion and 'love'.

Then I got involved with someone purley out of emotion. I knew from day 1 he was not the logical choice. That ended far more painfully that the XH.

I wish there was some merge between the two. Maybe now I will be able to combine my experiences and make logical, heartfelt choices.

Maybe you can, too?

I've done both. Married my EH based on logic (he was a good guy, good looking, good to me, everyone liked him, supportive, etc, etc.). I ignored my heart that was BEGGING for passion and 'love'.

Then I got involved with someone purley out of emotion. I knew from day 1 he was not the logical choice. That ended far more painfully that the XH.

I wish there was some merge between the two. Maybe now I will be able to combine my experiences and make logical, heartfelt choices.

Maybe you can, too?

Yep, hope so. I think I will.

There is a logic to emotions, it's just a bit more challenging to identify the underlying reasons/ logic thereof. Before making difficult decisions I try to be brutally honest with myself where my emotions/ fears are coming from. The next important thing that I consider is the long term impact versus the short term escape from fears/pain. This approach has served me well in every difficult situation that I have faced so far and in the long term I have never regretted a decision although short term it was very hard to do and sometimes the pain involved was substantial.

This ability has not necessarily always resulted in the "rational" versus the "emotional" choice, but enabled me often as well to be much more understanding about other people's choices and be much more patient about the decisions and behavioral choices that others make.

I think your system is a healthier way to make a decision in that you weed out the superficial short term results for long term results impact. I feel this thinking is applicable to business,work,personal and many other areas of life. I agree..we must be brutally honest in ourselves..who we are and where we really want to go. You are a good person penelope

i'm a tuition person. i don't always know why i feel the way i do, but i always trust that my subconscious has just picked up something i haven't consciously.

I do believe that some of us have a gift to do this. I also do but to use it must be listened to and nott ignored. My logical mind tries to overrride intuition and so I think its also a case of tuning into these feelings..recognising them and acting on them even if our logic tells us other wise.

The other mistake is mixing our emotions into intuition. We must focus on the feelings from the situation and not what the mind conjures up.Theres a difference.

Archived