bf gave me a gift I really don't like

jpmartin

bf framed a book of stamp and gave it to me as Valentine's Day gift, it's very thoughtful. but when we just started dating, he'd mentioned that when he broke up with his ex, he framed a book of stamp but didn't had the chance to give it to her.

so should I now pretend I like it? or I tell him I don't like it? I don't think bf is going to get back together with her but I don't like the fact he applied the ex gift idea to me.

Ouch... I would be really put off by that.. it's really tacky. Do you think it's the same one? I would probably say something to him along the lines that you appreciate the thought but would rather not receive something intended for an ex.

I asked him what he did for the stamp he bought last year, he said not sure, then he asked me whether I don't like the gift, I said yes. then I told him. He said he just bought it for me, and he only loves me. I guess I'll have to let it go. He does treat me well. Thanks for the advices

I didn't get mad or anything, but I took the stamp out and put our photo in the frame. It made me feel better. and he's fine

He may have made a faux pas here with his lack of imagination. But it would not be wise to compound it by throwing his gift back in his face. Apart from any other reason, such as corroding your relationship, it would just be very rude.

I used to get all upset about that stuff with my ex, but have learned since to suck it up, say thank you and appreciate the sentiment. That obviously is a good gift idea to him. I've done things with my new boyfriend that I've done with my old but that doesn't make it less important. He just thought it would be something special and now he is sharing it with you. Maybe you'll have better luck for your birthday.

What helps me is writing each other questions every day in a notebook the two of you share. When we're bored, my boyfriend and I write each other questions we might not otherwise think to ask. This is how we found out what types of gifts we both enjoy. It is done in a spirit of fun but can be helpful when looking for romantic ideas. My boyfriend knew what kind of Valentine's gifts I like because I wrote that I enjoy sentimental things.

So he wrote me a beautiful love letter, gave me a pot of baby roses, and cooked me my favorite meal. It meant the world to me

Is it the same gift?

I don't know how I'd feel about that. I'd be angry if he gave me a gift he made for his ex. But if he made a different item with the same theme (because it's something he's into) then I wouldn't chastise him for it. I wouldn't be angry at my artist boyfriend for painting me a gift or a singer boyfriend for writing me a song (even if they did it with all their exes), if it was a song or painting that was intended for another girl...I'd be rather disappointed in them.

Archived