turn off, alcohol?

Ginger1

I think this is the right board for this question.

If you meet a person and find out that they don't drink alcohol, is that unappealing?

I suppose mostly a question for guys here, but both opinions much appreciated.

For me, I don't drink very much at all if ever, I have my reasons (family history of drinking among others) but I don't care if others do and I don't have any issues with myself not drinking. But it seems as though whenever I am chatting with a guy (I have gotten better at this! ) about what they did this weekend or something is always involves "getting wasted" or something. Which for me is an actual turn off. And these are generally friendly cool guys I have class w/. I don't know if they are trying to boast about it or something, but it got me thinking that they probably would not be into someone who would want to do something ELSE! Maybe its just the age grp (college/20s)

oh and sorry I didnt do a search for this topic if it's repeated!

I find the whole 'getting trashed' several times a week thing a turn off, just because its not what I am into. And truthfully, I don't find intoxicated men attractive in the least. Heck, when my boyfriend of 6 years get drunk, I can't deal with him! Thankfully its not common, so it's not all that bad...but if it was regular, I wouldn't be able to stand it.

I enjoy a social drink, maybe going all out once every few months...but aside from that I wouldn't be bothered.

You'll find someone that it just clicks with.

I don't drink either and I've never foudn it to be a turn off to guys when I'd go on dates. If they ask, I just explain that I just don't like the taste. Similarly, I don't like when a guy I'm dating drinks a lot. There are other things to do that are more fun for me.

yay! good to know there are other people who on the same boat.

agreed with whoever above- I am definitely not self righteous about it, and I try my best not to have people think that. But a lot of my friends ask me my reasons for not drinking. And honestly my main reason is I could care less! And it's not fun for me!

I think it's a phase going into your 20's that you have to get trashed every weekend and feel sick and gross. NO thanks!

I find the whole 'getting trashed' several times a week thing a turn off, just because its not what I am into. And truthfully, I don't find intoxicated men attractive in the least. .

^^ Ditto.

OP: Don't feel bad. There are plenty people who don't drink and you're bound to find someone who actually approves, lol. I don't drink, never have and never will. I just don't like the taste. I have been called all sorts of names under the sun, and have had nasty comments thrown my way, but it doesn't change - I still don't drink.

Do what's right for you.

It seems like the younger you are the less it's bad, but the older you get the more you hate getting trashed I guess. I know for me I'm gonna party hard a LOT in college and in general just get wasted a lot. It's probably just a phase that you grow out of, and you get over it when you get older.

I drink to get trashed though, but that's just me.

There was a time I shredded the good girl image and got drunk in front of a lot of friends.

I realized it just wasn't my thing.

If you don't drink, that's great. If you do drink moderately, that's great too. But if you get trashed every weekend or whatever, you're out of my list for the moment.

ive been wondering about this. because this girl i like at work(seems like she has the hots for me too),when ever we talked she always made it seem like she never drinks and doesnt like it. turns out we both know the same mutual friends, and she drinks all the time!

cant figure this out because she knows i love going out and dont understand why she would hide herself like that. she seems to be attracted to me so i dont know if she was trying to not show that side for a good reason or not showing that side hoping i wouldnt ask her to hang out?

I come from a family of drunks and don't drink much (just maybe on holidays). I get called names and laughed at of course, but really don't care because the kinda people I want to hang out with aren't drunks anyway. I won't be mean to them necessarily, but look at it like this: why worry about THEM judging YOU? What do YOU want? You wouldn't want THEM either, would you? There are lots of guys who don't drink for lots of reasons.

Archived