I'm getting married! Should be happy think again!

Hi all

First post here, so hope it's in the correct place.

Well... where do I start, my partner and I got engaged about 6 years ago and have never had any money to get married, we are finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel, so we decided to set a date. Was really excited about this, so I quickly told my mum and dad after the minister had been to our house, my reply: you can hardly afford to feed yourself, never mind get married.

This shows how much they take to do with me and take any interest in my life. Anyway, if you want to ask more on this then feel free, I'm an open book.

My problem is I have my wedding dress fitting coming up, I text my mum last night to ask if she would come with me and I've still not had any response so who else could I take with me, I don't want to go on my own? It's absolutely killing me, I'm a loving person but yet I have such an un-loving family that only thrives on the negative, they were always there when I was struggling to cope but now I'm finally coming out the otherside its like they don't want to know me.

Hey! Welcome and congratulations! Im sorry to hear about your family. You know, I didn't have any close friends or family near by to look at dresses with me either. I know it's a different situation, but I felt I was missing out in sharing it with someone as you are. I would call your mom and ask her personally. Tell her that it would mean a lot for her to come. If it doesn't work out with your mom, I would be very open minded with who else might goes with you. I ended up going with the wife of one of my co-workers. It was actually pretty fun. I know it would be nice to have your family there, but if they don't want to participate, you should still try to enjoy it. It's a fun process and you've been so patient, don't let them spoil your fun.

Thank you, it's so nice to hear such nice words. Means so much! Yeah It's so hard as you know all us girls picture having there mother there, mine only lives 5mins from my door. I have asked her to be there for me and have had no reply that was via text as I couldn't bear hearing it straight. Mu mum is very crafty and can always turn things her way no matter what so really I'm damned either way.

I come from a family who are very Christian apart from my parents so they tend to take the word of my parents and see that I am basically upsetting her etc. To let you understand, when I first met my partner, my mum used to call him when I was in bed to say how much of a bad person I am etc. then it got to him and he flipped and opposed, then he has a bad turn of luck with jobs then it was my turn to receive the calls saying how bad he was. Even told him he's not wanted to his face and that he should just leave me and never return.

Just not sure how to resolve this, there's much more and just keeps growing.

Archived